Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Dennis Gearon <ge...@sbcglobal.net> on 2011/01/14 05:09:30 UTC

use of schema.xml

I'm going to buy the book for Solr, since it looks like I need to do more of the
work than I thought I would.

But, from looking at it, the schema file only says:

A/ What types of data can be in the 'fields' of the documents
B/ If there are any dynamically assigned fields.
C/ What parsers are available
D/ other stuff.

And what it DOESN'T do is set the 'schema' for the index, right?
(like DDL for a database does)

 Dennis Gearon

Signature Warning
----------------
It is always a good idea to learn from your own mistakes. It is usually a better
idea to learn from others’ mistakes, so you do not have to make them yourself.
from 'http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=4501&tag=nl.e036'

EARTH has a Right To Life,
otherwise we all die.

Re: use of schema.xml

Posted by Dennis Gearon <ge...@sbcglobal.net>.
I could put 1-10,000 fileds in any one document, as long as they are told what
type or they are dynamically matched by dynamic fields relative to what's in the
schema.xml file?

It's very much like google 'big tables' or 'elastic search' that way, right?

It's up to me to enforce any field names or quantities and assign field types
during insert/update?

 Dennis Gearon

Signature Warning
----------------
It is always a good idea to learn from your own mistakes. It is usually a better
idea to learn from others’ mistakes, so you do not have to make them yourself.
from 'http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=4501&tag=nl.e036'

EARTH has a Right To Life,
otherwise we all die.

Wait- it does enforce the schema names. What it does not enforce is
field contents when you change the schema. Since Lucene does not have
field replacement, it is not practical to remove or add a field to all
existing documents when you change the schema.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: use of schema.xml