Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Carl Pelletier <ca...@yahoo.ca> on 2006/05/22 20:00:04 UTC

best development server for Tapestry

hi everyone, I'm just starting a new development projet with Tapestry 4.0 and Hibernate 3.1. I'm looking for the best local server to install on my computer to make my development.

here are the important point for me:

1- Must be easy to install
2- Easy to deploy with ant and Eclipse.
3- Quick to start and stop.
4- Less configuration possible.
5- Must support JNDI
 6- Not to much memory ungry...

Right now, I use Tomcat 5.5.17 with the service installed and I have some problems. Use about 90mg of memory and is really long to start and stop.

I'm considaring switching to Jetty 6, is a good idea?

Maybe some theak in tomcat maybe anough..

Please, let me know what you think !

Thanks

Carl Pelletier

P.S> Sorry for bad english, i'm french

Re: best development server for Tapestry

Posted by Paul Cantrell <ca...@pobox.com>.
I've had good luck developing with Jetty 6. Unlike Tomcat, it's quite
easy to set up an "ant jetty" target which launches a server, then
just kill the process and run ant again for the next dev cycle.

Tomcat's hot deploy ought to make this easy, but I've had too many
resource leak, out of memory, and general "Tomcat goes haywire"
issues with the hot deploy to make it good for development. I'm much
happier with Jetty's clean restart approach.

That's not necessarily an endorsement / criticism of either in
production, of course.

Cheers,

Paul

Posted by Paul Cantrell <ca...@pobox.com>.
Tomcat's deploy / undeploy tasks are quite speedy, but I've found
that Tomcat starts going haywire after a few dozen hot deploys like
that -- usually it runs out of memory; sometimes the old instance
doesn't undeploy cleanly, and holds on to DB connections ...
sometimes, it gets into a confused internal state where new deploys
fail with mysterious errors, and I have to delete its temp directories.

For some reason, the hot deploy seems to work flawlessly for some and
fail for others. I'm in the latter group -- I find that I have to
restart Tomcat every hour or so. And since Jetty can start from cold
in roughly the same time that it takes Tomcat to do a hot deploy....

Posted by Claudiu Pîslaru <cl...@net-sol.ro>.

Posted by "Gentry, Michael (Contractor)" <mi...@fanniemae.com>.
I switched from Tomcat 5.0.x to Jetty (currently 5.1.8) because it
seemed much faster/leaner for me (at least on my PowerBook).  I still
deploy on Tomcat, but Jetty works great for development so far.  I can
launch from within Eclipse (get Jetty Launcher) and debugging/hot
swapping is pretty good.

/dev/mrg

Posted by Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com>.
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/JNDI

Posted by Carl Pelletier <ca...@yahoo.ca>.

Posted by Nick Faiz <ni...@q9software.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Carl Pelletier <ca...@yahoo.ca>.
Wow, thanks all for your reply, I`m new with Tapestry and Jetty, but I must say that I like it very much!

Thanks again...

Carl Pelletier

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carl Pelletier <ca...@yahoo.ca>.