Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ken Larson <ke...@mindspring.com> on 2004/02/02 22:03:52 UTC

batik applet and security - why?

I am using JSVGCanvas in a swing applet.  The URL of my SVG file is in
the same location as the applet.  So therefore in theory, my applet
should need no special privileges to run, since it can get the SVG file
using an URL based on the applet's codebase URL.  However, I still get a
security exception.  I think the XML processor is trying to read my home
directory from the system properties or something.

Anybody have any suggestions as to how to make a batik applet not
require special privileges?  I can get it to work of course by granting
my applet special privileges, but this is cumbersome for distribution
and as far as I know, it should be completely unneccessary.

Ken

Re: batik applet and security - why?

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Ken Larson wrote:

> I am using JSVGCanvas in a swing applet.  The URL of my SVG file is in
> the same location as the applet.  So therefore in theory, my applet
> should need no special privileges to run, since it can get the SVG file
> using an URL based on the applet's codebase URL.  However, I still get a
> security exception.  I think the XML processor is trying to read my home
> directory from the system properties or something.

    This is correct Xerces asks for your home directory and doesn't
catch the Security exception so it dies.  I don't know why Xerces is
looking for your home directory.  The good news is that Batik can use
just about any SAX2 XML parser.  So the most common solution is to
use crimson, I've also tried picollo (sp?).  One of the last versions
of crimson had some namespace issues.  Also if you are using JDK 1.4
on your clients it has (a working) crimson built in so you can use
that (also crimson/picollo are a bit faster).  Check the archives for
how this can be done.

> Anybody have any suggestions as to how to make a batik applet not
> require special privileges?  I can get it to work of course by granting
> my applet special privileges, but this is cumbersome for distribution
> and as far as I know, it should be completely unneccessary.

    If you are using Scripting you also need to slightly modify the
JS jar to remove the optimization package (requires class loader).