Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "alan.gerhard" <al...@gercom.com> on 2003/02/17 15:40:56 UTC

Smart Host revisited

the work done by bill parducci and noel bergman is rather
impressive; a quick review of their thread in the archives
and then the wiki site was enough to enable me to set up
james as a preprocessor in a chain of smtp servers.

the goal here is to use james to as the inbound mail
processor where inbound mail is divided into two groups -
from the internet and from the network.

Internet inbound mail is destined for local Pop3 delivery
Network inbound mail originates from clients or the internal
network

The following processor ( gateWay ) has been set up and
works as expected very well.

 <processor name="gateWay">

   <mailet match="HostIs= 192.168.200.100/32 "
class="RemoteDelivery">
    <outgoing> file://var/mail/relay/ </outgoing>
    <delayTime> 21600000 </delayTime>
    <maxRetries> 5 </maxRetries>
    <deliveryThreads> 1 </deliveryThreads>
    <gateway> my.gateway.com </gateway>
    <gatewayPort>25</gatewayPort>
   </mailet>

  <mailet match="RemoteAddrNotInNetwork= 192.168.201.0/24 "
class="Null"/>

  <mailet match="All" class="RemoteDelivery">
    <outgoing> file://var/mail/outgoing/ </outgoing>
    <delayTime> 21600000 </delayTime>
    <maxRetries> 5 </maxRetries>
    <deliveryThreads> 1 </deliveryThreads>
   </mailet>
 </processor>

However, we need to match ~200 domains to be delivered as
internet inbound mail. To do this, all we need to do is to
match ONE of the MX records to a specified address as thus -

do a DNS lookup on the domain
check to see if one of the returned MX record(s ) matches
the 'target IP Address'
MATCH ? the mail is intended for this server : not intended
for this server and is to be destroyed

This will work as long as the MX record does not use a
CNAME, or if the resolver will lookup the CNAME and get the
IP address.

What I'd like to know is -

1. Is there existing code for a matcher that will match an
MX record - MatchMx="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" for example, that I
can use as a basis to expand on ??

2. Can anyone come up with one or more reasons why this
CANNOT work ??

btw: CNAMEs are prohibited in MX records, according to
RFC974, RFC1034 3.6.2, RFC1912 2.4, and RFC2181 10.3; also,
it is my understanding that Exchange will choke if a MX
record is a CNAME.

RE: Smart Host revisited

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> However, we need to match ~200 domains to be delivered as
> internet inbound mail.

What are you trying to do that isn't covered by adding each to the
<servernames> list in config.xml?

> do a DNS lookup on the domain check to see if one of the
> returned MX record(s ) matches the 'target IP Address'

This sounds like you are trying to replace the <servernames> list with a DNS
lookup.

	--- Noel