Posted to dev@slider.apache.org by Rui Zhang <rz...@vertica.com> on 2014/06/20 21:22:01 UTC

Some tutorials to run my own apps on Slider

Hi,

I have just ran HBase on Slider successfully. Now I want to run my own
app on Slider such as Vertica, is there some tutorials for me to do
this? What is the start point?

Thanks,
Rui

Re: Some tutorials to run my own apps on Slider

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.
You can also refer to markdowns at
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-slider.git;a=blob;f=src/site/markdown/slider_specs/index.md;h=114950c0c5a9509c41d68e4366b9f5523b24ec81;hb=master
.

The documents in the "develop" branch are being edited and will include
more examples for the next release. For now referring to the document in
the master branch and samples in hbase/storm/accumulo directories will be a
good idea.

-Sumit

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rui:
> w.r.t. creating app packages, please take a look at the structure
> under app-packages/hbase
> in the develop branch.
>
> For hbase 0.98, package/files/hbase-0.98.3-hadoop2-bin.tar.gz needs to be
> copied manually since release tarball is not in maven yet.
>
> Cheers
>

> On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Jon Maron <jm...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> > Currently I’m not aware of any specific documentation for creating an
> > application package (the tar file containing the distribution and
> > associated metadata).  There have been recent checkins for maven targets
> > for creating some of these packages, I believe with the assumption that
> > there is a well know location for the download of the distribution.
> >
> > Having said that, I think it would be a simple matter to download one of
> > the samples and take a look at the contents, paying particular attention
> > the metainfo.xml file.  Given those example you should be able to
> assemble
> > the tar.  The samples also contain application template (appConfig.json)
> > and resource (resources.json) files that you can use as examples for
> > creating the Vertica specific versions you’ll need for invoking the
> slider
> > command.
> >
> > Take a look at
> >
> http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/slider/0.30/HortonworksTechnicalPreview-Slider.pdf
> > If you want some guidelines concerning the creation of a cluster for
> > deploying the application and the HDFS etc configuration required to
> deploy
> > an application package.
> >
> > — Jon
> >
> > On Jun 20, 2014, at 3:22 PM, Rui Zhang <rz...@vertica.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have just ran HBase on Slider successfully. Now I want to run my own
> > app on Slider such as Vertica, is there some tutorials for me to do this?
> > What is the start point?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Rui
> >

> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> that
> immediately

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Some tutorials to run my own apps on Slider

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Rui:

Posted by Jon Maron <jm...@hortonworks.com>.
Currently I’m not aware of any specific documentation for creating an application package (the tar file containing the distribution and associated metadata).  There have been recent checkins for maven targets for creating some of these packages, I believe with the assumption that there is a well know location for the download of the distribution.

Having said that, I think it would be a simple matter to download one of the samples and take a look at the contents, paying particular attention to the metainfo.xml file.  Given those example you should be able to assemble the tar.  The samples also contain application template (appConfig.json) and resource (resources.json) files that you can use as examples for creating the Vertica specific versions you’ll need for invoking the slider command.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE