Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2011/10/17 11:03:54 UTC

Re: The new command aliases in Karaf 2.2.4

Hi Claus,

You are right: it depends if the command accepts several bundles or not.

For instance:

- bundles:start 23 34 56
- system:shutdown (no argument)

On trunk, you will see bundle:* or bundles:* commands. It's the same: it
depends if the commands accept several bundles, or only one.

No problem to discuss if it's better to use the singular name (bundle:*,
service:*, system:*). I'm fine with that, let see what the others think ;)

For Camel, I plan more to use sub-shell in the future:

karaf@root> camel
karaf@root/camel> routes:list
karaf@root/camel> contexts:list

I will work on sub-shells on Karaf trunk.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: The new command aliases in Karaf 2.2.4

Posted by mikevan <mv...@comcast.net>.
+1 to this change on 3.0.  I like the idea of leaving the console commands
the same on the 2.x branches.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:

> Hi Claus,
>
> it's my plan: leave packages:* command as it is on karaf-2.2.x branch,
> but change it on trunk (to be consistent).
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 10/18/2011 11:11 AM, Claus Ibsen wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré&lt;jb@&gt;  wrote:
>>> What do you think about packages:* commands ? Does it make sense to
>>> rename
>>> it to package:* ?
>>>

>> I think the Karaf community is to be asked :)
>>
>> Yeah I like singular as consistency. But for already released and used
>> names it can be hard to change.
>> Possible consider name changes for Karaf 3.0.0 and leave it as is on
>> the 2.x branches.
>>

>>> Regards
>>> JB

>>> --
>>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>>> jbonofre@
>>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>>> Talend - http://www.talend.com
>>>

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> jbonofre@
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

-----
Mike Van  (All links open in new tabs)
Committer - Kalumet

Atraxia Technologies

NCI Inc

Mike Van's Open Source Technologies Blog

Re: The new command aliases in Karaf 2.2.4

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
That makes sense!

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**
Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
**
Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
Apache Gora <http://incubator.apache.org/gora/> Committer
*

Re: The new command aliases in Karaf 2.2.4

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Good idea Hadrian,

I will add the aliases package:* on Karaf 2.2.x, and rename on trunk
(Karaf 3.0).

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: The new command aliases in Karaf 2.2.4

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Claus,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: The new command aliases in Karaf 2.2.4

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Claus,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: The new command aliases in Karaf 2.2.4

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: The new command aliases in Karaf 2.2.4

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Good point James regarding the Unix commands.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: The new command aliases in Karaf 2.2.4

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@fusesource.com>.
On 17 October 2011 10:03, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:
> Hi Claus,
>
> You are right: it depends if the command accepts several bundles or not.
>
> For instance:
>
> - bundles:start 23 34 56
> - system:shutdown (no argument)
>
> On trunk, you will see bundle:* or bundles:* commands. It's the same: it
> depends if the commands accept several bundles, or only one.
>
> No problem to discuss if it's better to use the singular name (bundle:*,
> service:*, system:*). I'm fine with that, let see what the others think ;)

Personally I prefer the singular - then its simple and you don't have
to remember whether you can or can't specify more than one argument -
nor do you have to then rename things if you later on change the
argument processing on a command.

e.g. folks often start / stop a single bundle. It feels weird to have to type

  bundles:start 44

In unix you don't type "greps" or "mores" when they can support more
than one argument.

--
James
-------
FuseSource
Email: james@fusesource.com
Web: http://fusesource.com
Twitter: jstrachan, fusenews
Blog: http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration and Messaging

Re: The new command aliases in Karaf 2.2.4

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1 to use singular

Freeman
On 2011-10-17, at 下午5:03, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:

> Hi Claus,
>
> You are right: it depends if the command accepts several bundles or
> not.
>
> For instance:
>
> - bundles:start 23 34 56
> - system:shutdown (no argument)
>
> On trunk, you will see bundle:* or bundles:* commands. It's the
> same: it depends if the commands accept several bundles, or only one.
>
> No problem to discuss if it's better to use the singular name
> (bundle:*, service:*, system:*). I'm fine with that, let see what
> the others think ;)
>
> For Camel, I plan more to use sub-shell in the future:
>
> karaf@root> camel
> karaf@root/camel> routes:list
> karaf@root/camel> contexts:list
>
> I will work on sub-shells on Karaf trunk.
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 10/17/2011 10:53 AM, Claus Ibsen wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I was reading Jean's blog about the Karaf 2.2.4 release
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net/2011/10/whats-new-in-karaf-2-2-4/
>>
>> And read about the command aliases, which IMHO seems like a good
>> thing.
>>
>> However just wondering why you use the plural naming?
>> - bundles
>> - services
>>
>> And then you have a non plural for system
>> - system
>>
>> I guess the answer is that there is always 1 system, and you can have
>> 0..N bundles/services.
>>
>> I am just used to have singular naming such as
>> - system
>> - bundle
>> - service
>>
>> And for 3rd party plugins, we have a Camel plugin that is singular
>> as well
>> - camel
>>
>> Anyway tab completion will help me pick the right command :)
>>

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> jbonofre@apache.org
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Freeman Fang

FuseSource
Email:ffang@fusesource.com
Web: fusesource.com
Twitter: freemanfang
Blog: http://freemanfang.blogspot.com

Re: The new command aliases in Karaf 2.2.4

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1 to use singular

Freeman

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@fusesource.com>.