Compatibility issue reading excel file?

Hi,

I've been using poi for writing hssf with great success. Now I'm
starting to read and modify spreadsheets and I get into trouble. On
debian package POI version 1.1 it complains but works, but entire rows
disappear from the dataset.
Then I downloaded 2.51-FINAL from the web site but it refuses entirely
to load my document.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Start and end index not in range.
    at
org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFRichTextString.applyFont(HSSFRichTextString.java:61)
    at
org.apache.poi.hssf.record.TextObjectRecord.processFontRuns(TextObjectRecord.java:148)
    at
org.apache.poi.hssf.record.TextObjectRecord.processContinueRecord(TextObjectRecord.java:131)
    at
org.apache.poi.hssf.record.RecordFactory.createRecords(RecordFactory.java:188)
    at
org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook.<init>(HSSFWorkbook.java:163)
    at
org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook.<init>(HSSFWorkbook.java:130)
    at org.apache.poi.hssf.dev.HSSF.<init>(HSSF.java:67)
    at
net.instadia.datamining.ResultFormatterXLS.main(ResultFormatterXLS.java:546)

I do not know what to do next. Any suggestions?

/Philip