Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Valentin Kulichenko <va...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/17 21:24:37 UTC

Fwd: IGFS backed by persistence on physical filesystem

Moving this discussion to the dev list.

As far as I know, IGFS stores data in blocks, so one file can be
distributed across nodes. So I don't see how each node can persist locally.
In my understanding it should be designated shared directory where all
files are persisted. This is actually analogous to how our persistence
store works for regular cache data.

Ivan, correct me if I'm wrong.

-Val

Posted by "Ivan V." <iv...@gridgain.com>.
Valentin, my reply possibly was not enough exact, sorry, so let me bring
clarity there.
If we store a file, in case of LocalFileSystem secondary Fs the file will
be stored locally not on *each* Ignite node in the cluster, but *only* on
the node where the operation was requested.
E.g. if a cluster consists of nodes A, B, C, we connect to node A and write
file "/tmp/f", the file "/tmp/f" will be written locally only on the node
where node A runs, and nowhere else.
Yes, data cache in IGFS is patitioned, so file blocks are distributed. But
this is about IGFS, which in DUAL mode only plays role of intermediate
layer (a cache) between secondary Fs and the client.