Posted to user@struts.apache.org by René Eigenheer <re...@bridgesolutions.net> on 2002/08/06 15:49:36 UTC

off topic: classloader tomcat 4.0.x

after hours of spending (wasting) time with upgrading to jboss 3 - tomcat 4
I'm close to give up ;-))

I have some struts application which I'd like to migrate, but I do not find
a configuration, where all classes, ressource files are found

I'm copying jars (struts, castor, xerces, own application) from WEB-INF/lib
to catalina/common/lib and vice versa and do also use jboss lib
directories -> but with every configuration I try, it doesn't load another
class (or message ressource).

does anybody of you have a running example with these jars?

does anybod know another documentation than tomcats class-loader-HOW-TO
which explains the class loading process (in special the loading of classes
which are referenced from a class in a jar)

thanks for any help

RE: off topic: classloader tomcat 4.0.x

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@telocity.com>.
You are using the jboss-3.0.1RC1_tomcat-4.0.4 version???
Forget about the catalina directories under %JBoss_Home%/catalina.
JBoss doesn't use it.

You need to deploy your application as a war file in
%JBoss_Home%/server/default/deploy
and put all the needed jars in the WEB-INF/lib directory prior to war-ing
your app.

I'm not a JBoss expert by any means, but I've been on their users list long
enough to see that question answered about 50 times.

Have you tried asking for help on the jboss-users list?  They are pretty
good about helping folks get where they need to be.

James Mitchell
Software Engineer\Struts Evangelist
Struts-Atlanta, the "Open Minded Developer Network"
http://www.open-tools.org/struts-atlanta

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

RE: off topic: classloader tomcat 4.0.x

Posted by René Eigenheer <re...@bridgesolutions.net>.
you don't belive it ;-))) by preparing a "nice" mail describing all the
problems I faced, I got it to work:

the first test was to packk all in on war which leads to:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/w3c/dom/events/EventTarget

then I moved xerces.jar to jboss/server/default/lib and let the rest of my
jars in the war ... and it worked - but I already did this before, but most
propably with a wrong version of xerces

thanks for your assistance

ps: now I switch to my next application and I'm curious to know what kind of
problems I will face with this one ;-)))

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.