Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Xiaofeng Xu <xl...@yahoo.com> on 2008/09/21 18:51:55 UTC

Subversion 1.5.1 Installation question

Hi,

I am installing subversion 1.5.1 on my Mac OS 10.3 operating system. But when I make it, I got error message:

/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lexpat

Since the MAC OS didn't have libexpat library, is there any way than I can avoid the -lexpat to install subversion on my MAC OS 10.3? Thanks for your help.

Xiaofeng

Re: Subversion 1.5.1 Installation question

Posted by Xiaofeng Xu <xl...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Jeremy,

Thank you very much for your comments, after I modified the Makefile to specify the location of libexpat, the subversion was installed successfully. I don't know that apt-util installed the libexpat before, thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Xiaofeng

Posted by Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 22, 2008, at 6:45 PM, Xiaofeng Xu wrote:

> On Mon, 9/22/08, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>>> I am installing subversion 1.5.1 on my Mac OS 10.3
>>> operating
>>> system. But when I make it, I got error message:
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lexpat
>>>
>>> Since the MAC OS didn't have libexpat library, is
>>> there any way
>>> than I can avoid the -lexpat to install subversion on
>>> my MAC OS
>>> 10.3? Thanks for your help.
>>
>> You should be able to install Subversion (and lots of other
>> software)
>> fairly painlessly on Mac OS X using MacPorts. It handles
>> all the
>> downloading and the dependencies for you.
>>
>> http://www.macports.org/
>>
>> Mac OS X 10.3 isn't officially supported by MacPorts
>> anymore, but it
>> should still work for many ports. I have Subversion
>> installed with
>> MacPorts on my Power Mac G4 running Panther. Just make sure
>> you
>> update to the latest Mac OS X 10.3.9, apply all the
>> security updates,
>> and update to Xcode 1.5.
>
> Thank you very much. Since I am using a Mac computer that I am not
> the root user, I can't upgrade the system. I am currently trying to
> install the subversion under my user directory for my own code
> development version control.

You don't need to be root to install MacPorts. You can install it
under your home directory if you want.

This is slightly more complicated because

1. you can't install from the binary disk image installer; you have
to build from source; and

2. there was a bug in the 1.6.0 source and it does not build on
Panther without some help.

Your best bet is to get the current trunk source code and build that.

If you have another machine with Subversion already installed on
which you can check out the source code, do that and send it over to
the Panther machine to build it. If not, let me know and I'll check
it out and send it to you.

Then install it this way:

cd macports-trunk

PREFIX=$HOME/macports

PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin \
./configure \
--prefix=$PREFIX \
--with-tclpackage=$PREFIX/Library/Tcl \
--with-install-user=$USER \
--with-install-group=admin \
--enable-readline

make

make install

If you need any help please come over to the macports-users mailing
list and I'll be happy to help (since we're getting to be off-topic
for the Subversion Users list).

Re: Subversion 1.5.1 Installation question

Posted by Xiaofeng Xu <xl...@yahoo.com>.
Ryan,

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.