Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org> on 2017/02/21 07:44:38 UTC

[VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.9 (RC0) is available

I'm happy to announce the first release candidate of HBase 1.1.9 (HBase-1.1.
9RC0) is available for download at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/hbase-1.1.9RC0/

Maven artifacts are also available in the staging repository
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1163

Artifacts are signed with my code signing subkey 0xAD9039071C3489BD,
available in the Apache keys directory https://people.
apache.org/keys/committer/ndimiduk.asc

There's also a signed tag for this release at
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hbase.git;a=commit;h=0d1feabed5295495ed2257d31fab9e6553e8a9d7

The detailed source and binary compatibility report vs 1.1.8 has been
published for your review, at
http://home.apache.org/~ndimiduk/1.1.8_1.1.9RC0_compat_report.html

HBase 1.1.9 is the ninth patch release in the HBase 1.1 line, continuing on
the theme of bringing a stable, reliable database to the Hadoop and NoSQL
communities. This release includes nearly 20 bug fixes since the 1.1.8
release. Notable correctness fixes include HBASE-17238,
HBASE-17587, HBASE-17275, and HBASE-17265.

The full list of fixes included in this release is available at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12338734
 and in the CHANGES.txt file included in the distribution.

Please try out this candidate and vote +/-1 by 23:59 Pacific time on
Sunday, 2017-02-26 as to whether we should release these artifacts as HBase
1.1.9.

Thanks,
Nick

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.9 (RC0) is available

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
+1

* checked sigs and sums
* checked source against commit hash
* checked source builds binaries
* spot check of LICENSE/NOTICE looks fine
* compatibility report looks good

Posted by Sean Busbey <se...@gmail.com>.
I can make time today.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Thanks Nick. Plan to look tomorrow.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

If you are given a choice, you believe you have acted freely. - Raymond
Teller (via Peter Watts)

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.9 (RC0) is available

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jerry He <je...@gmail.com>.
+1
(non-binding)

- Downloaded the src tarball.
  - Checked the md5 and signature.  Looks good.
  - Built from source.      openjdk version "1.8.0_121"
  - Ran unit test suite.  All passed.
  - mvn apache-rat:check   Passed

- Download the bin tarball.
 -  Checked the md5 and signature.  Looks good.
 -  Extract it.   Looks good.
 -  Started a local instance.  Run the 'hbase shell' with some basic table
commands, split, flush, etc.  Looks good.

- Built Phoenix 4.8-HBase-1.1 with hbase version 1.1.9 pointing to the RC
using https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1163
  Ran unit tests.  All pass.

-  Bulit YCSB 0.12.0 from git source with HBase binding pointing to RC.
-  Run YCSB workloads again the local RC instance.  Worked fine.
-  Run the same YSCB against a HBase 1.2.0 cluster.  Worked fine.

Jerry

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
+1

Checked hash and signature.
Built from source. Poked around, layout, doc.
Started it up, loaded up some data. Checked it there.
Took a look in logs. Looks like the usual.

St.Ack

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1

Checked sums and signatures: ok
Compiles from source: ok (7u80)
RAT check passes: ok (7u80)
Unit tests pass: ok (8u102)
Loaded 1M rows with LTT: ok, all keys verified, latencies in ballpark,
nothing unusual (8u102)
ITBLL 100M rows: ok (8u102)

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
With 4x +1, 2x +1 (non-binding), no -0's and no -1's, this vote passes.
Thanks to all who gave it a spin.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
+1

- verified tarballs vs public key on people.apache.org.
- extracted bin tgz:
  - inspect structure. look good.
  - with jdk1.8.0_65:
    - run LoadTestTool against standalone bin tgz with FAST_DIFF block
encoder and ROWCOL blooms. No issues, logs look good.
    - poked around webUI. looks good.
  - load the site, browsed book.
- extracted src tgz:
  - inspect structure. look good.
  - run LoadTestTool against standalone built from src tgz with FAST_DIFF
block encoder and ROWCOL blooms. No issues, logs look good.
  - poked around webUI. looks good.
- ran the hbase-downstreamer project vs. the staged maven repository. tests
pass.