Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Neeme Praks <ne...@inpoc.com> on 2001/10/12 23:59:47 UTC

org.apache.cocoon.components.xpath.XPathProcessor dependancy in XMLResourceBundle

hi again, fellow cocooners and avaloners! (long time, no see) :-)

After being some time away from active development, I now started to look at
the things that have happened with
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.i18n.XMLResourceBundle while I was away.
And discovered that there has happened a "fork" of the XMLResourceBundle
from Avalon CVS tree to Cocoon CVS tree (org.apache.cocoon.i18n) together
with some new additions and bugfixes.

So, I started to look at the possibility to merge the Cocoon version of the
XMLResourceBundle back to Avalon, and discovered that there is also one new
dependancy introduced: org.apache.cocoon.i18n.XMLResourceBundle depends on
org.apache.cocoon.components.xpath package.

In order to still be able to merge the changes to Avalon, I would propose to
move the org.apache.cocoon.components.xpath package also under Avalon (as it
doesn't depend on any cocoon specific packages anyway).

How do others feel about this? And if this move is ok, where should we move
it?

Rgds,
Neeme

Re: org.apache.cocoon.components.xpath.XPathProcessor dependancy in XMLResourceBundle

Posted by Mircea Toma <mi...@home.com>.
> On Sat, 13 Oct 2001 07:59, Neeme Praks wrote:
> > hi again, fellow cocooners and avaloners! (long time, no see) :-)
> >
> > After being some time away from active development, I now started to
look
> > at the things that have happened with
> > org.apache.avalon.excalibur.i18n.XMLResourceBundle while I was away.
> > And discovered that there has happened a "fork" of the XMLResourceBundle
> > from Avalon CVS tree to Cocoon CVS tree (org.apache.cocoon.i18n)
together
> > with some new additions and bugfixes.
> >
> > So, I started to look at the possibility to merge the Cocoon version of
the
> > XMLResourceBundle back to Avalon, and discovered that there is also one
new
> > dependancy introduced: org.apache.cocoon.i18n.XMLResourceBundle depends
on
> > org.apache.cocoon.components.xpath package.
> >
> > In order to still be able to merge the changes to Avalon, I would
propose
> > to move the org.apache.cocoon.components.xpath package also under Avalon
> > (as it doesn't depend on any cocoon specific packages anyway).
>
> Works for me. That was actually proposed a months or so ago but as yet no
one
> has got around to doing it ;)
>
> > How do others feel about this?

+1

And if this move is ok, where should we move
> > it?
>
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.xpath

+0 .... maybe org.apache.avalon.excalibur.xml ?

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Morrison <jo...@ntlworld.com>.
+1 from me - if something should be in the framework then moving it there is
fine by me.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Neeme Praks wrote:

> Uhu? Berin? Anyone? Are these changes ok? Should we vote on these or I'll
> just go ahead and commit?

Go ahead and commit.  The XMLResourceBundle is still in the scratchpad.  While
it is there you are free to play with it to your heart's content.  We need to
vote to promote it when it is ready for primetime.  After that, the API and the
configuration has to be the same.  Bug fixes are ok for the primetime stuff,
but anything that would change the API should be voted on.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neeme Praks <ne...@one.ee>.

Posted by Neeme Praks <ne...@one.ee>.

Posted by Neeme Praks <ne...@one.ee>.

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Neeme Praks wrote:
> >
> > hi again, fellow cocooners and avaloners! (long time, no see) :-)
> >
> > After being some time away from active development, I now started to look at
> > the things that have happened with
> > org.apache.avalon.excalibur.i18n.XMLResourceBundle while I was away.
> > And discovered that there has happened a "fork" of the XMLResourceBundle
> > from Avalon CVS tree to Cocoon CVS tree (org.apache.cocoon.i18n) together
> > with some new additions and bugfixes.
> >
> > So, I started to look at the possibility to merge the Cocoon version of the
> > XMLResourceBundle back to Avalon, and discovered that there is also one new
> > dependancy introduced: org.apache.cocoon.i18n.XMLResourceBundle depends on
> > org.apache.cocoon.components.xpath package.
> >
> > In order to still be able to merge the changes to Avalon, I would propose to
> > move the org.apache.cocoon.components.xpath package also under Avalon (as it
> > doesn't depend on any cocoon specific packages anyway).
> >
> > How do others feel about this? And if this move is ok, where should we move
> > it?
>

> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.xml.xpath
>
> That way we can also have the following:
>
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.xml.parser
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.xml.transformer
>
> (This is the componentization of those specific pieces--not the pipeline specific
> things in Cocoon).  This allows Avalon to use parsers that are not JAXP compliant
> and transformers that are not TRAX compliant.

+1 on all above. And there might be many more (ie.
org.apache.cocoon.xml.XMLPipe, XMLProducer, XMLConsumer, ...)

Giacomo

Re: org.apache.cocoon.components.xpath.XPathProcessor dependancy in XMLResourceBundle

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi Neeme,

	Great to hear from you. :-)

	Yes, the 'fork' of the XMLResourceBundle was mainly my doing -
	it was intended to be a temporary solution until
	XMLResourceBundle was officially a part of Avalon (ie. moved out
	of the scratchpad).

	I see no problems in moving it back to Avalon proper.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Neeme Praks wrote:

> hi again, fellow cocooners and avaloners! (long time, no see) :-)
>
> After being some time away from active development, I now started to look at
> the things that have happened with
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.i18n.XMLResourceBundle while I was away.
> And discovered that there has happened a "fork" of the XMLResourceBundle
> from Avalon CVS tree to Cocoon CVS tree (org.apache.cocoon.i18n) together
> with some new additions and bugfixes.
>
> So, I started to look at the possibility to merge the Cocoon version of the
> XMLResourceBundle back to Avalon, and discovered that there is also one new
> dependancy introduced: org.apache.cocoon.i18n.XMLResourceBundle depends on
> org.apache.cocoon.components.xpath package.
>
> In order to still be able to merge the changes to Avalon, I would propose to
> move the org.apache.cocoon.components.xpath package also under Avalon (as it
> doesn't depend on any cocoon specific packages anyway).
>
> How do others feel about this? And if this move is ok, where should we move
> it?
>
> Rgds,
> Neeme

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   Managesoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'     Email : Marcus.Crafter@managesoft.com
          &&&&.        Business Hours : +49 69 9757 200
    &&&&&&&: