Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Todd Stock <ts...@blarg.net> on 2002/05/10 20:44:06 UTC

Implementation of LMTP

Hi,

I have been playing with James a bit and was wondering if there had been
any effort to start an LMTP port for James.  My sole reason for this is
to use James IMAP and POP features with an external mail program like
Sendmail or Postfix.  The LMTP port then can be used as the local mail
delivery system instead of the James SMTP.

Is anyone doing this allready?
Is anyone interested in this?

-Todd

RE: Implementation of LMTP

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
[For those who don't know LMTP: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2033.txt]

I suppose you could base the LMTP code upon the existing
src/java/org/apache/james/smtpserver code.  Not having read over that code,
I don't know how easily you can refactor the code to allow SMTPServer and
LMTPServer classes to share common code, but given the common nature of SMTP
and LMTP, there should be a lot of common code.

	--- Noel