Posted to dev@giraph.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/16 23:41:56 UTC

Karma for Giraph wiki

Hi,
I've opened a wiki page within Apache Giraph to enable students to begin
developing their proposals.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GIRAPH/2013
In order to add your project proposal you will first need to sign up to the
Giraph wiki.
If you have any problems adding your proposal then please get in touch with
us.
Thank you
Lewis
*
Lewis*

Re: Karma for Giraph wiki

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Renato,
Great work. The proposal looks just great.
I think it will be beneficial for all of us when a comparative
investigation is carried out between Nutch LR and Giraphs PR.
In my opinion this should most certainly features as one of the early
milestones of the project.
I think this would make a nice blog post and/or wiki page within Apache
Giraph which Nutch wiki can also link to.
I acknowledge your intention to use the 2.x Nutch branch as oppose to
trunk. This makes sense given your knowledge of Gora from last years GSoC
and I think this should be welcomed as it most certainly lowers the barrier
to doing more exciting things within this years effort (if the proposal is
accepted.)
Can i please ask you to keep the Giraph Jira issue documented with any wiki
entries? This will enable better tracking and evaluation from a mentor and
admin perspective.
It is a good start.

@Claudio Martella,
I saw your ask about datastores supported

Lewis

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GIRAPH/GSoC+2013+-+Giraph+Implementation+of+Nutch+LinkRank+Algorithm

> 2013/4/17 Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>:
>> Hi Claudio & Others,
>>
>> The idea here is that the interested Students from those who explicitly
>> expressed interest on the GIRAPH-584 ticket e.g. Renato, Emre & Catalin
>> respectively, will each contribute their own individual proposal to wiki
>> page.
>>
>> The content each prospetcive participant should provide should include
>> evidence of research they have carried out regarding Nutch LinkRank and
>> Giraph PageRank algorthithms, the code bases, scope of problem, possible
>> difficulties they envisage the project may run in to, milestones which
>> should be addressed within the project, etc.
>>
>> Justification behind me gathering this type of content upfront is three
fold
>> 1. It enables the Giraph PMC to see that the prospective students are
>> serious about taking on the GSoC project
>> 2. It enables creation of a base line for each students aim and
objectives
>> within the project scope.
>> 3. It enables GSoC admins to make better decisions on who gets in and who
>> doesn't based on the quality of the student application and the
engagement
>> from the community to the idea and proposal.
>>
>> I am trying to drive on with this (and would also encourage the
prospective
>> students to do the same) as I would like to make it clear that
 competition
>> for GSoC is high. Places are limited for mentors as well as students.
Slot

claudio.martella@gmail.com>

--
*Lewis*

Re: Karma for Giraph wiki

Posted by Renato Marroquín Mogrovejo <re...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Re: Karma for Giraph wiki

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Claudio & Others,

--
*Lewis*

Re: Karma for Giraph wiki

Posted by Eli Reisman <ap...@gmail.com>.
I'm +1 on both. The hadoop profiles will get beefed up to selectively
exclude code they can't build or have no deps for (like the old hadoop
profiles etc) but it would make the code so much cleaner, and releasing 20
jars would suck. Good idea.

Excited about tinkerpop too!

Re: Karma for Giraph wiki

Posted by Gustavo Enrique Salazar Torres <gs...@ime.usp.br>.
+1 for Munge.

Re: Karma for Giraph wiki

Posted by Claudio Martella <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
   Claudio Martella
   claudio.martella@gmail.com

Re: Karma for Giraph wiki

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Claudio,

--
*Lewis*

Re: Karma for Giraph wiki

Posted by Avery Ching <ac...@apache.org>.
I would personally like to see someone get rid of munge!  It's
preventing us from deploying jars to maven.

Re: Karma for Giraph wiki

Posted by Claudio Martella <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
   Claudio Martella