Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Charley Newtonne <cn...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/22 17:23:08 UTC

Bench-marking Hadoop Performance

This is a new cluster I'm putting up and I need to get an idea on what to
expect from a performance standpoint.

Older docs point to gridmix and TestDFSIO . However, most of this doc is
obsolete and no longer applies on 2.4.

Where can I find benchmarking docs for 2.4? What are my options?
Also, I have searched safari books online including rough cuts, but not
seeing books for the 2.4 release. If you know of a book for this release,
please share.

Thank you.

Re: Bench-marking Hadoop Performance

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
There are alot of tests out there and it can be tough to determine what is
a "standard".

- TeraGen/TearSort and testdfsio are starting points.

- Various other non apache projects (such as ycsb or hibench) will have
good benchmarks for certain type sof cases.

-If looking for a more comprehensive long term strategy, I'd suggest the
you ask on the  bigtop mailing list, where we are
building a broader community around uniform smoke testing and benchmarking
of hadoop, hadoop compatible file systems, and YARN applications.

--
jay vyas

Re: Bench-marking Hadoop Performance

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.