Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Scott Miller <SM...@slightlysuspect.com> on 2002/02/22 00:12:27 UTC

Help with basic SSI

Hi List,

I thought this would be easy but I cannot get server side includes to work.

I am running the Windows version of Apache on a Windows 2000 workstation.
This is just a test environement.  Everything seems to be OK.  I have been
able to retreive web pages, write and run cgi scripts, and use .php.

Server side includes are another matter.

I created the following small shtml page.
<HTML>
<HEAD><TITLE>FORM</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
THIS IS A TEST<BR><BR><BR>

<!--#include file="info.txt" -->

</BODY>
</HTML>

I created the following info.txt in the same directory.

lname:miller
fname:scott
address:skldfdasfdsafsdfsd

All get is the this a test displayed in my browser. no errors appear in my
error log.

I tried subsituting virtual for file.  No better.

I have read the Apache documentation titled Module mod_include and also the
NCSA tutorial document titled  Server Side Includes.

I thought I had set everything up correctly.  What did I do wrong?

Scott

RE: Help with basic SSI

Posted by Scott Miller <SM...@slightlysuspect.com>.
I need the head and body for other portions of the page that are not
different for each info.txt I create.  I checked everything else you
mentioned.

Scott

Re: hit counts

Posted by Brian Quinn <br...@azfms.com>.
ok, i was hoping there was another way to do that since they both have the
same exact content
i will give that a shot

Thanks for the responce

Brian

Re: hit counts

hit counts

Posted by Brian Quinn <br...@azfms.com>.
I have 2 domain names pointing to the same apache server.  both see the all
the same pages also.  we would like to know if there is a way to get hit
counts accessed by each domain name.
since domain1.com & domain2.com share the same document root i'm not sure
how to do this.
we want to know how many people access the pages through domain1.com & how
many by domain2.com

Thanks in advance.

Brian

RE: Help with basic SSI

Posted by "S. David Sheeks" <sd...@isdponline.com>.
Because this list is full of intelligent people like you.

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.

RE: Help with basic SSI

Posted by "S. David Sheeks" <sd...@isdponline.com>.

RE: Help with basic SSI

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Scott Miller [mailto:SMaction@slightlysuspect.com]

> Thank you.  One last question about this. Will shtml work in all
> directories
> I make under htdocs?  I want to be able to add new directories without
> having to edit my config for ssi to work.

Yes, apache configuration settings inherit into subdirectories.

JOshua.

RE: Help with basic SSI

Posted by Scott Miller <SM...@slightlysuspect.com>.
Got it.  On the last test I typed C:....rather than 127.0.0.1 to get at the
file therefore, it used the file system not the server.

Thank you.  One last question about this. Will shtml work in all directories
I make under htdocs?  I want to be able to add new directories without
having to edit my config for ssi to work.

Thanks again for all your patience.

Scott

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

RE: Help with basic SSI

Posted by Scott Miller <SM...@slightlysuspect.com>.
Done.

Both are in the htdocs directory.  Nothing is in my error logs.  I do not

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

RE: Help with basic SSI

Posted by Scott Miller <SM...@slightlysuspect.com>.
the main file is 3.shtml in it I am trying to get it to parse info.txt

 <HTML>
 <HEAD><TITLE>FORM</TITLE>
 </HEAD>
 <BODY>
 THIS IS A TEST<BR><BR><BR>

<!--#include file="info.txt" -->

 </BODY>
 </HTML>

 I created the following info.txt in the same directory.

 lname:miller
 fname:scott
 address:skldfdasfdsafsdfsd

When I try this on a live web server (hosted by Interland) it works, that is
why this is driving me nuts!

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

RE: Help with basic SSI

Posted by Scott Miller <SM...@slightlysuspect.com>.
Mine looks like this:
    #
    # AddType allows you to tweak mime.types without actually editing it, or
    # make certain files to be certain types.
    #
    # For example, the PHP 3.x module (not part of the Apache distribution -
see
    # http://www.php.net) will typically use:
    #
    #AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php3
    #AddType application/x-httpd-php3-source .phps
    #
    # And for PHP 4.x, use:
    #
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml

    AddType application/x-tar .tgz

    #
    # AddHandler allows you to map certain file extensions to "handlers",
    # actions unrelated to filetype. These can be either built into the
server
    # or added with the Action command (see below)
    #
    # If you want to use server side includes, or CGI outside
    # ScriptAliased directories, uncomment the following lines.
    #
    # To use CGI scripts:
    #
    #AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

    #
    # To use server-parsed HTML files
    #
    #
    AddType text/html .shtml
    AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

Once again thanks for all your help.

Scott

RE: Help with basic SSI

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

RE: Help with basic SSI

Posted by Scott Miller <SM...@slightlysuspect.com>.
I changed it still not working.  Sorry to be so dense.  Anything else to
check.  I thought I understood this stuff better but, I am really confused.

Here is how it looks now:

# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
#
<Directory "C:/Apache/htdocs">

#
# This may also be "None", "All", or any combination of "Indexes",
# "Includes", "FollowSymLinks", "ExecCGI", or "MultiViews".
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews +includes

#
# This controls which options the .htaccess files in directories can
# override. Can also be "All", or any combination of "Options", "FileInfo",
# "AuthConfig", and "Limit"
#
    AllowOverride None

#
#
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

#
# UserDir: The name of the directory which is appended onto a user's home
# directory if a ~user request is received.
#
# Under Win32, we do not currently try to determine the home directory of
# a Windows login, so a format such as that below needs to be used.  See
# the UserDir documentation for details.
#

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

RE: Help with basic SSI

Posted by Scott Miller <SM...@slightlysuspect.com>.
I do not mean to be dense:  what are the relevant pieces?

Here is the options +includes in the htdocs directory.  Will this also apply
to sub directories?

Scott

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks

    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

#
# Note that from this point forward you must specifically allow
# particular features to be enabled - so if something's not working as
# you might expect, make sure that you have specifically enabled it
# below.
#

#

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

RE: Help with basic SSI

Posted by Scott Miller <SM...@slightlysuspect.com>.
It is not being parsed.  I had read the document you suggested.  I think I
have followed it.  I hesitate to post the entire configuration file to the
list.  What should I check?

Thanks

Scott

Re: Help with basic SSI