Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Edouard Lagache <la...@canebas.org> on 2004/03/08 04:15:05 UTC

[mp2] --with-devrandom solves: (Re: "server failed to start!")

Hi Stas! (and mod_perl crew! :-)

Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> wrote at Sun, 7 Mar 2004 12:20:19 -0800

>> Unfortunately, you aren't the first one to hit this problem and not the
>> last one. So ideally we should find a way for the application to figure
>> out those things before it hangs and tell the user how to fix them or at
>> least print out the diagnosys information to help resolve the problem,
>> without a user needed to contact this list.
>>
>> I've emailed apr-dev to ask whether apr_uuid_get can be adjusted to have
>> some sort of timeout mechanism.
>
>So as Justin told me over apr-dev, the solution is to rebuild Apache with
>--with-devrandom=/dev/urandom - however, that is not secure for certain
>needs.
>  Or setup EGD and use --with-egd.

PERFECT!  I rebuilt Apache and mod_perl works perfectly without the
urandom symlink hack.  So if anyone else has the "server failed to
start!" problem again, the answer is to build Apache with --with-
devrandom=/dev/urandom (at least if they can live with the security
compromises.)

Thanks again Stas and everyone!

Peace, Edouard :-)

--------------------------
Edouard Lagache, Sysadmin
canebas.org
elagache@canebas.org
29 Altamount Drive
Orinda, CA, 94563

Re: [mp2] --with-devrandom solves: (Re: "server failed to start!")

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
> PERFECT!  I rebuilt Apache and mod_perl works perfectly without the
> urandom symlink hack.  So if anyone else has the "server failed to
> start!" problem again, the answer is to build Apache with --with-
> devrandom=/dev/urandom (at least if they can live with the security
> compromises.)

Now documented at:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.html#Server_Hanging_at_the_Startup

> Thanks again Stas and everyone!