Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Jim Alateras <ji...@bigpond.net.au> on 2003/09/26 03:20:39 UTC

[merlin] jmx support

Is there anything in Merlin today that parallels JMX support in Phoenix,
in particular the use of .mxinfo files to declare a component's JMX
interface

cheers
</jima>

Re: [merlin] jmx support

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Jim Alateras wrote:

>Steve,
>
>Thanks for the timely response. I will look into the two options
>described below early next week. My understanding is that this will
>enable me to declare JMX access points to my components. Can you clarify
>whether I need to write the code that will register these points with
>the MBeanServer or does this code exist already....i suspect the former

Today - relative to the 3.0 beta release - *no* component MBeans are
registered. The only option available to you is to use some undocumented
features that result in the deployment of an mbean server and the
registration of the Merlin Kernel.

For the final release there are three subjects that are top-of-the-agenda:

1. logging - The logging subsytem in Merlin 3.0 does not use the
excalibur logging package - instead it has a variant based on LogKit.
This is a top priority item as the James project needs a complete
logging solution before they can consider Merlin as a deployment candidate.

2. ECM migration - The 3.0 version of Merlin does not include pooled
object support.  This was disabled simply because the notion of a pool
needs to properly expressed at the level of a component type manager -
and the prev. 2.1 version just did not cut it in terms of providing a
good solution.

3. JMX support as described in the prev. email - which breaks down into
pending work on exposure of internal system and tartget component type
management access point handling:

(a) internal auto jmxification of the managing appliance
(b) supplementary registration/deregistration of jmx mbeans
    (via qdox or a avalon variant)

I.e. today - it does not matter if you write the code or not because
Merlin 3.0 beta will *not* register the mbean.  On a final release you
will probably find that the majority of you management requirements are
taken care of automatically, independently of your deployment context
(web, standalone, or embedded) and any custom content will be handled
based on a supplementary descriptors associated with a component class.

Cheers, Steve.

RE: [merlin] jmx support

Posted by Jim Alateras <ji...@comware.com.au>.
Steve,