Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Mattos, John" <jm...@Indemand.com> on 2002/02/13 16:12:25 UTC

HTML / Struts Help

Hi.

I have a form that can be submitted by three different buttons, for example
the buttons read

(Button Labels)
Process
View by Org
View by Product

What I want to do is in the Action Class handling the submission, find out
which button was pressed, and act accordingly, whether it's an actionForward
(in the case of the "view" options) or kicking off another process (as will
be done by the "process" button)

So, how can I figure out what button was pressed in that Action class? Is
there a way to do that?

John Mattos
Sr. Developer and Architect
iNDEMAND
345 Hudson St. 16th Floor
New York, New York
10014

Re: HTML / Struts Help

Posted by Jay sissom <js...@toybox.uits.indiana.edu>.
You would do it the way you'd do it an any web application.

Here's how I do it:  All my button field names start with "btn".  I would
name these buttons btnProcess, btnViewByOrg and btnViewByProcess (or
something similar).

In my perform method, I'd put code like this:

   String button_pressed = null;
   Enumeration e = request.getParameterNames();
   while ( e.hasMoreElements() ) {
      String param = (String)e.nextElement();
      if ( param.startsWith("btn") ) {
         button_pressed = param;
         break;
      }
   }

At this point, button_pressed tells you the name of the button that was
pressed.  I have a utility class that has this code in it and I use it
everywhere.

Jay