Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Winarto <wi...@fermat.eu> on 2009/01/09 10:33:46 UTC

Write a (very) huge Excel file.

Hi all,

I'm currently converting an XMLSS based file into a real Excel file. The
XMLSS based file is about 100-200MB (yes it's one hundred to two hundred
megabytes) containing about 30k records. I have been able to parse the
XML file within 10-20seconds, but the problem comes when creating the
Excel file using POI. It is always throwing java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
Java heap space error in around 15-16k records. Is there any tips or
advise that I can use to avoid that error?

FYI, I'm using POI 3.2 final, with jvm setting -Xms512m -Xmx1024m.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Winarto

Re: Write a (very) huge Excel file.

Posted by "hudson.paula" <hu...@ibest.com.br>.
Hi all.

Using this example "BigGridDemo.java" I could see "a light in the end of the
tunnel", but in my system I have to generate sheets to each 1000 lines.

How can I extend this example to do something like that?

[]'s

Re: Write a (very) huge Excel file.

Posted by Anthony Andrews <py...@yahoo.com>.
I cannot recall the details - and it may not therefore be exactly applicable here - but I think that Yegor proposed a solution for creating very large files a few months ago. It involved creating template files and then populating them and I am not at all clear on the details. If you can visit the archives here;

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/poi-user/

then you can search through the messages for the last couple of months. Sorry to say that I cannot remember the subject of the original question either so you will need to look through the posts manually. The only other guidance I can offer is that it was in the last two to three months of last year.