Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andre Hübner <an...@gmx.de> on 2008/06/04 09:06:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Apache Log File 2GB

Servus,

> What is the advantage of having larger log files?  Why not rotate daily?
> You don't want to rotate once it reaches 2GB.  You should be doing it way
> before then.  Large log files are harder to search through and make sense
> of.

sense is to have one file that can be webalized cause webalizersystem is
expecting one file.
dont want to rescript the webalizersystem which is running on a lot
maschines, just this server is problematical...
hmm, will rotate logs with CustomLog Log Directive
Thanks
Andre

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Apache Log File 2GB

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 04.06.08 10:45, André Warnier wrote:
> Hi, just my little 2 cent : we run webalizer with logfiles rotated with
> logrotate.  The trick is just not to rotate the logfile (logrotate) more
> often than you run webalizer on it.  Otherwise webalizer misses the
> chunk that is rotated away.  But webalizer can intelligently reprocess
> the same file, and is smart enough to skip what it has already seen before.
> Better, use the "firstaction" config parameter of logrotate, to run
> webalizer on the logfile *before* you rotate it.

or run it on rotated file (usually .1 extension) after rotation, so new
lines are written to new file and analyzer won't miss any line of output.

we have more servers, I plan to rotate some time after midnight, and
extract/sort/merge files so logs will be extracted on daily basis.
"Where do you want to go to die?" [Microsoft]

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Apache Log File 2GB

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Andre Hübner wrote:
> Servus,
>
>> What is the advantage of having larger log files?  Why not rotate daily?
>> You don't want to rotate once it reaches 2GB.  You should be doing it way
>> before then.  Large log files are harder to search through and make sense
>> of.
>
> sense is to have one file that can be webalized cause webalizersystem is
> expecting one file.
> dont want to rescript the webalizersystem which is running on a lot
> maschines, just this server is problematical...

Hi, just my little 2 cent : we run webalizer with logfiles rotated with
logrotate.  The trick is just not to rotate the logfile (logrotate) more
often than you run webalizer on it.  Otherwise webalizer misses the
chunk that is rotated away.  But webalizer can intelligently reprocess
the same file, and is smart enough to skip what it has already seen before.
Better, use the "firstaction" config parameter of logrotate, to run
webalizer on the logfile *before* you rotate it.

another André