Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Khadbai, Abdul (ANTS)" <ab...@ants.co.uk> on 2003/01/08 11:49:04 UTC

Solaris Authentication

 Hi

 Is there any way that tomcat can hook into the solaris user names and
 passwords rather than creating a new database with
 passwords and usernames i.e in a way which weblogic can use NT
 authentication ?

 Please let me know.

 Many Thanks

 Abdul Khadbai

This communication (including any attachments) contains confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient and you have received this communication in error, you should destroy it without copying, disclosing or otherwise using its contents.  Please notify the sender immediately of the error.

Internet communications are not necessarily secure and may be intercepted or changed after they are sent.  Abbey National Treasury Services plc does not accept liability for any loss you may suffer as a result of interception or any liability for such changes.  If you wish to confirm the origin or content of this communication, please contact the sender by using an alternative means of communication.

This communication does not create or modify any contract and, unless otherwise stated, is not intended to be contractually binding.

Abbey National Treasury Services plc. Registered Office:  Abbey National House, 2 Triton Square, Regents Place, London NW1 3AN.  Registered in England under Company Registration Number: 2338548.  Regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA).

Re: Solaris Authentication

Posted by John Holman <j....@qmul.ac.uk>.
If the Solaris usernames and passwords are held in an LDAP directory you
should be able to use the JNDI Realm. You would need to supplement the
Solaris user info with role information in the same directory.

I don't know of a documented method for connecting to other approaches
(e.g. local files (/etc/password + /etc/shadow, NIS, etc). In some cases
it *might* be possible to use the JAAS realm with a suitable security
provider, or you could write your own Tomcat realm. Using local files is
likely to be difficult because Tomcat should not be run as root for
security reasons, yet you need to be root to access /etc/shadow.

John