Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Harish Krishnaswamy <wh...@yahoo.com> on 2003/04/07 02:40:30 UTC

JSP/taglibs vs. XMLC

Taglibs, the answer to separation of roles problem, seems like a variant of SAX solution in the
sense that Tag Handlers for JSP resemble the SAX Handlers for XML. When JSP is nothing but XML
behind the scenes, why not use SAX/DOM to manipulate the viewers like XMLC does? That way you
force the logic out of web pages and there is clear separation of visual design and content
generation. Sounds like a no brainer to me, I don't understand why SUN would put more efforts into
JSP. Am I missing something?

-Harish

used with a tile

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@cgey.com>.
Hi,

in the index.jsp page of my app (welcome file) I would like to forward to a tile, using :

<logic:forward name="index" />

In struts-config.xml I have set this global forward :

  <global-forwards>
    <forward name="index" path="tiles:index"/>
  </global-forwards>

In tiles-def.xml I have defined the tile "tile:index"

It doesn't work as server is looking for "/[app context]/tiles:index"

If I define a forward action "/index" that forwards to my tile, and change forward to <forward name="index"
path="/index.do"/>, it works.

Did I miss something ? Doesn't logic:forward tag support tiles ?

Nico.

RE: JSP/taglibs vs. XMLC

Posted by Jack Zakarian <jz...@welchpartners.com>.
Hi Sasha,

It looks interesting but the license seems to restrict what you can do
with it. For example here is a portion of the license

You may not:
.use the programs for any commercial or production purposes, or use the
programs for any purpose except the development and prototyping of your
applications;

Jack

Posted by Sasha Bilton <sa...@phase12.com>.

RE: JSP/taglibs vs. XMLC

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.
Yep. There is a fair bit of programmer overhead initially to using DOM -
even with XMLC (though if your using a framework designed for it like
Barracuda much of that would be done for you). Also even when using XMLC,
there will be more memory use to represent the DOM in memory than you would
get with JSP - which is essentially stream based. This is the sort of thing
one needs to consider when architecting the app. I wouldnt suggest you use
DOM for an amazon.com type site, but for a complex application where the
actual number of simultaneous users isnt vast but the UI requirements are
complex, it may well be a different matter..

The big problem most people who advocate DOM based approaches have with JSP
is that one is mixing the layout with the code to render the dynamic bits.
Since clients tend not to be able to look at a particular user interface for
more than about 5 minutes without deciding they want the layout and colour
scheme etc... to change completely that also means you have to reorganise
your rendering code everytime as its all in together in the same file. When
the html designers dont/wont know JSP this means that they will give you the
html and you have to spend forever converting it back into a JSP - mind you
its a similar deal with XMLC/DOM when the designers dont bother to preserve
the id attributes and such like when they bang together a new mockup...

The stage I was hoping to get to in my app was where users (or technical
support staff) could customise the screens for the app from within the app
(by uploading xhtml files) while its running (ie: user configurable forms).
Of course thats still a dream, but I suspect it will be a lot easier to
acheive using a DOM based approach. I suppose they could upload JSPs but
that gives them far more power than Im prepared to let them have given that
a JSP is code and not merely a layout...

RE: JSP/taglibs vs. XMLC

Posted by Harish Krishnaswamy <wh...@yahoo.com>.

RE: JSP/taglibs vs. XMLC

Posted by "Daniel H. F. e Silva" <dh...@yahoo.com>.
Hi all,
 Adding more fuel to this discussion, i think that you are talking about something like
Cocoon. What about it?

Best regards,
 Daniel.

RE: JSP/taglibs vs. XMLC