Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Mitch Gitman <mg...@usa.net> on 2002/11/29 20:45:15 UTC

commons-logging issue (maybe JUnit-related)

I'm trying to run some JUnit tests on an Axis client. My client class'
constructor calls the default constructor for
org.apache.axis.client.Service. This causes an exception to crop up:
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at org.apache.axis.client.Service.<init>(Service.java:108)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: ...
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Logger does not implement Log
         at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:555)

Now, Jdk14Logger does implement Log; both are in commons-logging.jar. At
first, I thought this was a simple classloading issue, that somehow an
inconsistent version of the class or interface was being picked up. But
after moving common-logging.jar to the head of my classpath list for
invoking JUnit, I still got the error. And anyway, I don't see Jdk14Logger
or Log elsewhere in the classpath.

I suspect this issue has something to do with JUnit, although I haven't a
technical reason. Just, "Jdk14Logger does not implement Log" has made its
way to the Cactus (JUnit for webapps) mailing list. Next, I'm going to try
running my Axis client directly rather than through JUnit.

Re: commons-logging issue (maybe JUnit-related)

Posted by Mitch Gitman <mg...@usa.net>.
Sure enough, this problem does not arise when running my Axis client
directly. So where's the conflict with JUnit? The JUnit archive doesn't
define these classes.