Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/20 18:26:27 UTC

tapestry component sub-project

It has been voiced on a few occassions that an official tapestry sub-project
based around components and contributors to those components may be
beneficial.

I think it would be nice to have a project like this, it would allow
tapestry to have a clearer/safer feeling repository of components that are
community maintained, while also providing all of the valuable resources
that being a part of apache provides. It makes sense to have a sub-project
as well, because it would allow (in theory?) people to be voted in to the
sub-project as committers without going through as much red tape as might be
required to be on tapestr itself.

Is there a formal definition of how to propose something like this? Would it
more or less look similar to incubator proposals?

I'm thinking initially that I'd like to try and more or less move some of
the tacos stuff into this repository. Whatever developers feel like coming
along with me would be voted into this sub-project and we could start
building out an infrastructure. I think this would also involve trying to
reach out to some of the other component respositories and seeing if we
can't find a solution that fits all needs.

thoughts?

jesse

Fwd: tapestry component sub-project

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Oops...meant this to be on tapestry-dev .

Re: tapestry component sub-project

Posted by Rolf Strijdhorst <ro...@gmail.com>.
Well why don't we look at the structure that the MyFaces project uses for
its components.
they have the tomahawk component library and the sandbox for not yet mature
components.

Rolf

Posted by Joshua Long <jo...@tucando.com>.
My understanding was that Howard's project was on javaforge for no
reason if not that he _couldn't_ because of licenses host it on apache.

I think he probably has a good point. Whatever project was setup would
need to be freidnly to extremely useful components/extensions like what
Howard has built. I'm sure there are plenty of other components out
there that could be federated but for this (disturbinly substantial)
issue.

And, honestly, I would think any attempt at standardizing a component
foundry would be doomed if two contributors to the same effort couldn't
agree on it's charter/course! How could anyone else be expected to
commit as much?

Imagine tacos, tdeli, Howard's extensions, and the myriad of extensions
offered by other repositories like tapfx and tassel all under one
system. Heck, at this point, I would settle for a unified maven
repository with all of these things, to say nothing of a universal
metadata model as you might need for things like Spindle....

Just my $.02.

Sincerely,

Joshua

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.