Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Raymond Xie <xi...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/22 02:15:10 UTC

Need help on connecting Tableau to Hive

Hello,

I have Tableau installed on my Win 7 desktop, I have Hive 2.0.1 installed
on my hadoop node on VM Ware.

The host and guest communication is ping-able.

I tried to connect Tableau to HiveServer2 using the credential found in
hive-site.xml, Tableau returns the following error message:

Unable to connect to the ODBC Data Source. Check that the necessary drivers
are installed and that the connection properties are valid.
[Hortonworks][Hardy] (34) Error from server: connect() failed: errno =
10061.
Unable to connect to the server "192.168.112.150". Check that the server is
running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

Here is the screenshot:

[image: Inline image 1]

What am I missing here?

I already started Hive on hadoop node.

But I don't see anything when I run:

netstat -ntauple | grep hive

Thank you very much.

*Sincerely yours,*

*Raymond*

Re: Need help on connecting Tableau to Hive

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.
You need to install the Hortonworks ODBC drivers (just Google them) on Windows. Tableau does not include any drivers, but only Software to use these drivers to connect to whatever database you need.