Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by John Ky <ne...@yahoo.com> on 2000/03/09 07:25:08 UTC

Stylesheet chaining

I'm currently trying to do stylesheet
chaining of the sort:

source.xml

 |[stylesheet1.xsl]
trans1.xml

 |[stylesheet2.xsl]
trans2.xml

 |[stylesheet3.xsl]
trans3.xml

 |[stylesheet4.xsl]
output.xml

Where stylesheet1 contains some XSP
code.  (I'm not sure if this is relevant
to the question)

The system is currently operating
on IIS 4.0 + JRun + Cocoon 1.7 +
JDK1.3.

The problem I am experiencing is that
if I make a change to any of the
stylesheets, I need to restart JRun
in order to see the effect.

I don't believe the problem occurs
when only one non-xsp stylesheet is
involved.

Is this problem specific to my
configuration?  Is there a fix or
workaround for this behaviour?

Thanks
http://im.yahoo.com

Re: Stylesheet chaining

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
John Ky wrote:

> I'm currently trying to do stylesheet
> chaining of the sort:

[...]

> Is this problem specific to my
> configuration?  Is there a fix or
> workaround for this behaviour?

Well, the only way you can be sure that everything's loaded and compiled
from scratch is to delete the repository directory and restart cocoon
(it sometimes remembers stylesheets in memory, so deleting the
repository alone does not always help).

I think the cocoon team is working on this problem, however, it is not
easy to solve. Actually, if you asked me, I wouldn't know how to do it
without major design changes in cocoon's processing model (which,
incidentally, will change a lot with cocoon2).

With the combination of Java and XML/XSLT/XPath there are simply too
many possibilities of including this from there or reading that from
here. It's nice to have this freedom with cocoon, but a more rigid
processing model might have its advantages.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Softwareentwicklung