Posted to wss4j-dev@ws.apache.org by José Ferreiro <jo...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/21 17:02:58 UTC

WSS4J: Hybrid system (Symmetric and asymmetric cryptography)

*Hello,*
**
Definitions:
Asymmetric cryptography: Form of cryptography in which a user has a pair of
cryptographic keys (a *public key* and a *private key*)
Symmetric cryptography:  Form of cryptography in which many user shared a
secret-key (*single key*)

*WSS4J works as follows for encryption*:

WSS4J generates a random session key (*single key*) for every new "session"
(SOAP message), encrypts the data using the *single key*.
The server's *public key* (usually contained in a X.509 certificate)
encrypts the *session key* and packs it into the relevant SOAP header
structure.

Is this correct?
Which is the default *symmetric* algorithm to encrypt the SOAP body data in
WSS4J? Is it aes128-cbc?
Which is the default *asymmetric* algorithm to encrypt the symmetric
key (*single
key*) in WSS4J? Is it RSA?

*WSS4J works as follows for signing*:

The client uses its *private key* to sign the SOAP body. The server uses the
client's public key to check the signature of the SOAP body content using a
cryptographic hash fuction.
The client's public key is usually contained in a signed certificate by a
Certificate Authority (such as Verisign)

Is this correct?
 Which is the default hash algorithm to sign the SOA body data in WSS4J? Is
it SHA-1?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Jose Ferreiro

Re: WSS4J: Hybrid system (Symmetric and asymmetric cryptography)

Posted by José Ferreiro <jo...@gmail.com>.
 Thank you for your reply Werner!

By the way, I found this interesting article explaining the *Mechanics of
WS-Security*.
Additionally it has some UML sequence diagrams corresponding to a *r**eal-world
WS-Security scenario*.

The link: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-best11/

Regards,

Posted by José Ferreiro <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by José Ferreiro <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by José Ferreiro <jo...@gmail.com>.

AW: WSS4J: Hybrid system (Symmetric and asymmetric cryptography)

Posted by "Dittmann, Werner (NSN - DE/Muenich)" <we...@nsn.com>.
Jose,