Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Damien Profeta <da...@amadeus.com> on 2017/09/13 23:17:03 UTC

Switch between new parquet reader and old one

Hi,

I was looking at the code that read the parquet file and noticed there
is a switch 'isComplex' to choose if it is possible to use the new
reader or if we have to use the old one.
The switch is based on the columns of the files (complex type or
repetition level) but it doesn't care about the columns that have to
effectively read.

If for the ongoing query, we only read simple column and not with
repetition level, couldn't we use the new reader? That would be a minor
optimization but it could be worth.

Thanks
Damien

RE: Switch between new parquet reader and old one

Posted by Kunal Khatua <kk...@mapr.com>.
+1 on this, though in the long term, we ought to be able to handle even complex types within the Drill native reader.

That makes sense. We should only check the requested columns, not every column in parquet file, to decide which parquet reader to use.

Posted by Jinfeng Ni <jn...@apache.org>.