Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Blomstrom <da...@yahoo.com> on 2004/06/07 23:24:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Turning Off Apache

I decided to take another shot at virtual hosts. It
turned into a major disaster the last time I tried,
but I can see now that I have little choice but go the
virtual host route.

But I immediately got stuck on somethin much simpler -
shutting down Apache. I have Apache installed as a
service on Windows XP, so I never have to turn it on
or off. The quickest, simplest way to turn Apache off
is to open Windows Task Manager and just kill it. Is
this OK, or can it damage something?

The instructions say the command to turn Apache off is
apache -k stop, or apache -k shutdown. I can't type
anything in Apache's "daemon," or whatever it's
called. So I have to use Windows "command prompt,"
right?

At any rate, I typed both commands into command
prompt, and had no luck. I thought perhaps I need to
navigate to the Apache folder first, so I managed to
change directories to c:\xampp\apache\, and I still
struck out.

Surely there's an easier way to turn off Apache. (Or
do I absolutely have to turn it off before I can set
up a virtual host?) Any tips?

Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] Turning Off Apache

Posted by Ted <te...@KI5U.net>.

> > The correct way to shut down the Apache service is
> > through the 'Start
> > Menu'->'Administrative Tools'->'Services'. Highlight
> > Apache and you can
> > stop,start, and restart (auto stop,start) Apache
> > from there.
>
>I'm confused again. Are you talking about the start
>menu where you access your software programs on
>Windows? I scanned it and saw no mention of
>Administrative Tools. I don't recall ever seeing
>Apache listed in there.

Assuming you're using W2K Server (or perhaps W2K), if you'll select
"Settings", "Taskbar & Start Menu", then the "Advanced" tab, you'll find a
checkbox named "Display Administrative Tools".  If you select it, you'll
find the admin tools under the start menu.  Then you can properly start and
stop Apache using the services control as described.

Hope this helps.

Re: [users@httpd] Turning Off Apache

Posted by Norman Peelman <np...@cfl.rr.com>.
Posted by David Blomstrom <da...@yahoo.com>.
> > On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Barth (John) Jones wrote:
> >
> > > I run Apache on WindowsXP.  Can't David just hit
> "Control-C" to shut it
> > > down?  That's what I do.
> >
> > Only if you run apache from the command line and
> NOT as a service.  If you
> > run it as a service, ctrl-c won't help anything.
> >
> > Joshua.

Hmmmm... I'm getting confused. I finally decided to
try the Window Task Manager. I opened the Processes
pane and killed Apache. At least, I thought I zapped
it. I modified my files, restarted my computer, and
everything works just fine.

> The correct way to shut down the Apache service is
> through the 'Start
> Menu'->'Administrative Tools'->'Services'. Highlight
> Apache and you can
> stop,start, and restart (auto stop,start) Apache
> from there.

I'm confused again. Are you talking about the start
menu where you access your software programs on
Windows? I scanned it and saw no mention of
Administrative Tools. I don't recall ever seeing
Apache listed in there.

And the weirdest thing of all...

I tried out the "constant" PHP link includes someone
encouraged me to use; they're the reason I decided to
set up virtual hosting in the first place.

$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] .= '/geobop';
include
($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']."/../includes/head.php");
?>
</head>
<?php include
($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']."/../include/top.php"); ?>

 They work, but only after I inserted an extra segment
- ../ - in front of include/head.php, include/top.php,
etc.

But the oddest thing is that it worked online, even
though I inadvertently published it with the wrong
value where it says "geobop." To test it, I published
it with a third value, and it works. But if I remove
it entirely, it doesn't work at all.

It would make more sense if I was drunk!

Re: [users@httpd] Turning Off Apache

Posted by Norman Peelman <np...@cfl.rr.com>.
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Barth (John) Jones wrote:
>
> > I run Apache on WindowsXP.  Can't David just hit "Control-C" to shut it
> > down?  That's what I do.
>
> Only if you run apache from the command line and NOT as a service.  If you
> run it as a service, ctrl-c won't help anything.
>
> Joshua.

  The correct way to shut down the Apache service is through the 'Start
Menu'->'Administrative Tools'->'Services'. Highlight Apache and you can
stop,start, and restart (auto stop,start) Apache from there.

Norm

Re: [users@httpd] Turning Off Apache

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by "Barth (John) Jones" <mu...@alltel.net>.