Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Kashif Jawed Siddiqui <ka...@huawei.com> on 2014/09/01 08:28:40 UTC

Re: Thrift client authentication skipped for HBase thrift server

Hi All,

As per current implementation done for https://issues.apache.org/jira/i#browse/HBASE-11349  &&  https://issues.apache.org/jira/i#browse/HBASE-11474 ,

The authentication mechanism using  Kerberos principal for Thrift server with HBase is perfectly fine.

But for clients communicating to HBase via thrift server does not handle the security mechanism.

Any unauthenticated client can access HBase via thrift server. The thrift sever can act as a backdoor entry for skipping the security & authentication.

It will be better if thrift clients can also be authenticated through some mechanism like Kerberos or IP restriction,etc

Let us discuss on mechanism for thrift client authentication that can be implemented.

This e-mail and attachments contain confidential information from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or email immediately and delete it!

RE: Thrift client authentication skipped for HBase thrift server

Posted by Kashif Jawed Siddiqui <ka...@huawei.com>.
Hi Jimmy,

        HBASE-11349/HBASE-11474 is to authenticate the connection from thrift server to HBase.

        Here by the term thrift clients, I mean clients trying to access HBase via thrift server.

        For example, clients in any unsecure machine will connect to thrift server port 9090 , and in turn thrift will connect to HBase.

        Client ----->(unauthenticated connect via port 9090) Thrift -----> (Kerberos authenticated connection) HBase

        As portrayed above, the Thrift will authenticate with HBase using Kerberos. But clients connecting to thrift server via 9090 do not get authentictaed

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 11:28 PM, Kashif Jawed Siddiqui <kashifjs@huawei.com

Posted by Jimmy Xiang <jx...@cloudera.com>.
Kashif,