Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gregor Kappler <gk...@globalinxs.de> on 2003/07/03 18:08:39 UTC

Apache Webserver and Tomcat: encoding problem with UTF-8

Hi, I have the following problem with mod_jk on apache 1.3.26 (SLES8):
we have a Tomcat 3.3.1a, and changed the default request charset (ISO
8859-1) to utf-8 via
   <DecodeInterceptor defaultEncoding="UTF-8"/>in server.xml.
The generated HTML always has UTF-8 encoding.
As long we work with tomcat alone, everything works fine:
When we get the GET/POST Request of a form with some non ASCII
characters, they are correctly transfered (even when resent to the
client as value in the field of a form).

But I get a problem when using the connector with apache webserver. The
connection is working, and we can do nearly everything via apaches port
80. While on tomcat port 8080 everything still works, on port 80 we
always get broken special characters at the server. It seems, that the
apache webserver assumes wrong encoding of the URI or wrong exspected
encoding of the tomcat and passes some converted characters -- while it
should not do any conversions at all!

Are there any configurations of the apache webserver that solve this
Problem?
It would be nice if somebody could help me,

Gregor