Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/26 18:32:59 UTC

couchapp is deprecated in favour of erica

Hi all,

Just a quick mail to let you know I officially deprecated couchapp the
tool in favour of erica [1].

Erica is fully compatible with couchapp while offering new features
like the new webapp mode from @eckoit or the web editor. And more will
come soon.

Enjoy,

- benoît

[1] https://github.com/benoitc/erica

Re: couchapp is deprecated in favour of erica

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
(Changing lists.)

Great news Benoit.

Now, what do you think we should do with this:

http://couchapp.org/page/index

--
NS

Re: couchapp is deprecated in favour of erica

Posted by Jason Smith <jh...@iriscouch.com>.
Hi, Benoit. This is great news. It simplifies the story of CouchDB in the
real world.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:32 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just a quick mail to let you know I officially deprecated couchapp the
> tool in favour of erica [1].
>
> Erica is fully compatible with couchapp while offering new features
> like the new webapp mode from @eckoit or the web editor. And more will
> come soon.
>
> Enjoy,
>

> - benoît
>
> [1] https://github.com/benoitc/erica

--
Iris Couch

Re: couchapp is deprecated in favour of erica

Posted by Ryan Ramage <ry...@gmail.com>.
>      whats the diference between erika and kanso?

Erica
- built in erlang
- supports the traditional couchapp style   (easier for doing design docs)
- has new webstyle project layout support (easier for web devs)
- has a built in web editor, allowing you to edit your project in a browser
- very easy to get started
- Dave has a windows patch/version available.
- might be possible to bundle with a couchdb release. (or add as a future
plugin)

Kanso
- built in node.js
- more a built system
- has a bunch of user submitted packages that run couchdb*
- has support for any couchapp style
- probably more complicated to get into for newbies.
- windows support is limited

* some of the packages that are in kanso will be fine to use in erica, for
example http://kan.so/packages/details/jsonselect  . We are going through a
process to highlight them.

Re: couchapp is deprecated in favour of erica

Posted by Gabriel Mancini <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,

     whats the diference between erika and kanso?

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Kevin R. Coombes <kevin.r.coombes@gmail.com

--
Gabriel Mancini de Campos
Arquiteto de Soluções

+55 (11) 9449-1706
gabriel.mancini@gmail.com
São Paulo - SP - Brasil

Re: couchapp is deprecated in favour of erica

Posted by Alexander Gabriel <al...@barbalex.ch>.
@benoit: Thanks!

Alexander Gabriel
Wiesenstrasse 22
8800 Thalwil
079/ 372 51 64
alex@barbalex.ch
www.barbalex.ch

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Gabriel <al...@barbalex.ch>.
When I said this was amazing technology I forgot to mentiont that the
support is incredible!

Alex

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>wrote:

> Yes. There would have been one today except I found a bug in escript,
> which I thought originally was my fault. Benoit's suggested how to
> work around it, so I'll do that later this week. If you want to play
> RIGHT NOW then you can use the functioning but verbose version [3]. It
> just spits out lots of erlang messages before doing any real work:
>
> === PROGRESS REPORT==== 27-Nov-2012::23:55:13 ===
>           supervisor: {local,kernel_safe_sup}
>              started: [{pid,<0.63.0>},

It should be solved in latest head. Let me know.

- benoît

Re: couchapp is deprecated in favour of erica

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.

Posted by Alexander Gabriel <al...@barbalex.ch>.
Hi

Posted by "Kevin R. Coombes" <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Tim Black <ti...@alwaysreformed.com> wrote:
> On 11/26/2012 11:49 AM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
>> It should be straightforward:
>>
>> $ git clone git://github.com/benoitc/erica.git
>> $ make
>>
>> copy the erica bin in the root folder where you want. It only requires
>> Erlang installed.
> I just ran "make" before reading this email, and discovered it creates a
> self-contained executable like you say above.  Imaginary problem
> solved!  Sorry for bothering you about it!

np :)

- benoit

Re: couchapp is deprecated in favour of erica

Posted by Tim Black <ti...@alwaysreformed.com>.
On 11/26/2012 11:49 AM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> It should be straightforward:
>
> $ git clone git://github.com/benoitc/erica.git
> $ make
>
> copy the erica bin in the root folder where you want. It only requires
> Erlang installed.
I just ran "make" before reading this email, and discovered it creates a
self-contained executable like you say above.  Imaginary problem
solved!  Sorry for bothering you about it!

Tim

Re: couchapp is deprecated in favour of erica

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Black <ti...@alwaysreformed.com>.