Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Philipp Konradi <ko...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/12 17:20:24 UTC

Java objects and JMS in Distributed OSGi

Hi all,

I'm new to CXF and have here some beginner questions:

- Looking to CXF website, I saw some XML-based data-bindingsā€¦ What
about sending service arguments directly as Java objects using JMS
without converting it to XML? Is that supported by CXF? Our app has
high-throughput requirements to fulfill and requires support for
publish-subscribe mechanisms.

- Since our app is OSGi based, I'd also be curious about plans
regarding JMS-support by the CXF-based Distributed OSGi
implementation? Any schedules? How much effort is associated with
adding that support?

Any hints are highly appreciated.

Regards,
Philipp

RE: Java objects and JMS in Distributed OSGi

Posted by Eoghan Glynn <eo...@progress.com>.

Hi Philipp,

> What about sending service arguments directly as Java objects
> using JMS without converting it to XML? Is that supported by CXF?

Well, CXF has an "object binding" that was originally intended to allow optimization of the collocated case (i.e. where both the proxy and the target endpoint are hosted in the process space). The object binding was designed to be used with a specialized "local transport" that just passes the object payload directly in memory. However it may be possible to adapt a remoteable transport like JMS for use with this binding, i.e. by marshalling the object payload as a JMS ObjectMessage. I guess this would depend though on the raw arguments being serializable and encapsulated in a single aggregator object.

> Since our app is OSGi based, I'd also be curious about plans
> regarding JMS-support by the CXF-based Distributed OSGi
> implementation?

I'm planning to look into adding JMS support to distributed OSGi. The main task here would involve figuring out how to enable the CXF JMS transport in a purely programmatic fashion (i.e. in the absence of pre-existing WSDL or spring config). I hope to have some time to look into this in the next few weeks.

Cheers,
Eoghan