Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Arnold Bronley <ar...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/06 19:39:30 UTC

Accessing other core in SolrCloud mode

Hi,

I have one custom Solr plugin that uses following logic to access some
other core present on the same Solr instance.

request.getCore().getCoreContainer().getCore(otherCoreName) where request
is an object of type SolrQueryRequest

This works fine in master-slave mode.

Now if try to use the same logic in SolrCloud mode, it does not work
because what was the core name above is a collection name now and core
name is something like otherCoreName_shard1_replica_n1. There is also a
possibility that the the core might be sharded in SolrCloud mode and it
partially exists on two or more separate Solr instances.

How would I change above logic for accessing other Solr core so that it
works in SolrCloud mode?

Re: Accessing other core in SolrCloud mode

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
For <1>, hmmm. Apart from redesigning…. You can create
a single-shard collection. The trick is to co-locate one replica
in the “otherCollection” on _every_ Solr instance your main
collection is on. You’ll have to look at the ZK collection information
to know exactly what the otherCore name is, it’ll be something like
otherCollection_shard1_replica_n1 where “n1” is the changeable bit.

Other than that, a replica is just another core at that level, so you can
use it just like you would any other core, at least for read purposes.

There’s some “cross core join” code that does something similar, I
don’t have the class name to hand, you’ll have to go spelunking if
that seems similar to what you need.

For <2>, MoreLikeThis is supported in SolrCloud. Your problem is
slightly different. That said, to support MLT in a single collection,
Solr has to be able to send the necessary parameters to one replica
in each collection. I _think_ you could use the same pattern in
your custom code (and maybe from the client?) to essentially send
MLT to other collections. I think a place to start is the patch at:

Good Luck!
Erick

Posted by Arnold Bronley <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erick,