Posted to dev@opennlp.apache.org by Joern Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/01 13:12:38 UTC

Re: DeepLearning4J as a ML for OpenNLP

Hello,

the people from deeplearning4j are rather nice and I discussed with them
for a while how
it can be used for OpenNLP. The state back then was that they don't
properly support the
sparse feature vectors we use in OpenNLP today. Instead we would need to
use word embeddings.
In the end I never tried it out but I think it might not be very difficult
to get everything wired together,
the most difficult part is probably to find a deep learning model setup
which works well.

Jörn

Posted by Anthony Beylerian <an...@gmail.com>.
@William

I think what you meant previously by feature2vec would be to deep-learn
with any discrete state, not just with words, am I right?
Extra side-information could possibly help improve some results, but this
would make things overly complicated in my opinion.

@Boris,

Thank you very much, I see what you mean, yes they do complement each other
in that sense.

>> Do you have a particular problem in mind?

No particular problem, but it was very nice of you to clarify what you
meant by parse tree based approaches.
On the other hand, I am not currently aware of any studies comparing both
doc2vec and discourse trees for particular problems.
But it will be useful to know what to use in each case, since we are
considering deep learning support, the application areas you mentioned are
also quite interesting.

Otherwise, as you may already know there are a couple of projects currently
in progress for the toolkit: sentiment analysis and author profiling.
I think it would be good to use deep learning with these tools (as well as
others).

>> I can share code on git / papers on the above.

Yes I would love to check those out.

>> I am not sure it is a direction for openNLP?

I think Jörn answered that, it would be great to have the library offer
even more tools, using dl4j would be a nice to have (since it also offers
different neural net classifiers).

@Jörn

We could try looking into some existing publications about training models
(if any), unless someone can point us in the right direction, that would
really help.

Otherwise, although we can use other classifiers, dl4j team also has a page
for some recommended neural nets to use for classification in the next step:
http://deeplearning4j.org/neuralnetworktable

Best,

Anthony