Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andrew Schulman <an...@alumni.utexas.net> on 2013/03/01 10:41:37 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Graceful Restart fails because of SSL Keys with Passphrase?

> Maybe I should ask a more distinct question first:
>
> When we use "apachectl graceful", is the expected functionality that apache does not ask for pass-phrases again?  Presumably because it has the decrypted keys already in memory?  Or, does apache restart they key loading process all over again?
>
> Presently, sometimes it doesn't ask, sometimes it does.

I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood your question before.  I was thinking of a
full restart, not a "graceful" restart, aka reload.

If I understand the docs right, the same main server process will normally
continue, just rereading its configuration files.  I would think the expected
behavior would be not to reprompt, since the passphrases are already stored in
memory.  But I don't see that in the docs anywhere.