Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> on 2007/09/22 19:08:49 UTC

cwiki formatting help

The new Tomcat docs are not showing up correctly on our website.  For
example,

cwiki: http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENEJB/Tomcat
site:  http://openejb.apache.org/tomcat.html

The card decks don't seem to be rendering correctly.  If you view-
source of the site, all of the text is there, so I'm guessing this
may be a css or javascript problem.

Can anyone help me get this working?

Thanks,

-dain

Re: Java 6 and OpenJPA

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Sep 27, 2007, at 12:24 AM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2007, at 12:00 AM, Dario Laverde wrote:
>
>> Ok, so with Java 5, OpenJPA requires the agent and OpenEJB
>> currently only supports
>> OpenJPA as the JPA provider correct?
>
> True for the first part.  For the second part, any compliant JPA
> provider should work.  The only thing we'd still require OpenJPA
> for is to support CMP, but if you don't use them you're fine; just
> make sure you delete the cmp container declaration from the conf/
> openejb.xml file so that container won't load.
>
> Our CMP implementation is 95% JPA generic and about 5% OpenJPA
> specific.  Even then we could support other JPA impls provided we
> could get the right hooks.

The limiting factory is my attention span.  Currently, Tomcat is the
shiny ball :)

>> I also noticed you added security servlets in the latest ejb-
>> examples, so EJB
>> security in Tomcat now works?
>
> Neat!  Interested in that answer as well :)

Yep.  In trunk OpenEJB uses the Tomcat realm for authentication and
authorization.  Basically, we inherit the login from the web
application.  If you invoke an EJB directly using a remote client,
then we use the realm in the first Tomcat engine.

This is the first big beta-2 feature on the books :)

-dain

Re: Java 6 and OpenJPA

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Sep 27, 2007, at 12:00 AM, Dario Laverde wrote:

> Ok, so with Java 5, OpenJPA requires the agent and OpenEJB
> currently only supports
> OpenJPA as the JPA provider correct?

True for the first part.  For the second part, any compliant JPA
provider should work.  The only thing we'd still require OpenJPA for
is to support CMP, but if you don't use them you're fine; just make
sure you delete the cmp container declaration from the conf/
openejb.xml file so that container won't load.

Our CMP implementation is 95% JPA generic and about 5% OpenJPA
specific.  Even then we could support other JPA impls provided we
could get the right hooks.

> I also noticed you added security servlets in the latest ejb-
> examples, so EJB
> security in Tomcat now works?

Neat!  Interested in that answer as well :)

-David

Re: Java 6 and OpenJPA

Posted by Dario Laverde <da...@nycjava.net>.
Ok, so with Java 5, OpenJPA requires the agent and OpenEJB currently only supports
OpenJPA as the JPA provider correct?

I also noticed you added security servlets in the latest ejb-examples, so EJB
security in Tomcat now works?

thanks,
Dario

Re: Java 6 and OpenJPA

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Java 6 and OpenJPA

Posted by Dario Laverde <da...@nycjava.net>.
According to the OpenJPA docs:

http://openjpa.apache.org/docs/latest/manual/ref_guide_pc_enhance.html#ref_guide_pc_enhance_unenhanced_types

with Java 6 OpenJPA doesn't require the java agent "enhancer". Would there be any

Re: cwiki formatting help

Posted by David Blevins <db...@visi.com>.
On Sep 22, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Dario Laverde wrote:

> Actually it works out ok for this page as directory listings or
> initial Tomcat
> output aren't that necessary IMO (I'd remove the notes referring to
> them and keep
> the page as is). These probably fit better on the separate Tomcat
> installation page
> anyway.

I think the "Installation for the Impatient" section is aimed at
showing how to do the integration in a brief way.

I suppose at some point we may want the main Tomcat page to be sort
of a "portal" of links to other docs.

-David

Re: cwiki formatting help

Posted by Dario Laverde <da...@nycjava.net>.
Actually it works out ok for this page as directory listings or initial Tomcat
output aren't that necessary IMO (I'd remove the notes referring to them and keep
the page as is). These probably fit better on the separate Tomcat installation page
anyway.

Also, under Detailed Installation Instructions, you indicate "These instructions
assume you have a standard Tomcat installation running on port 8080." But I tested
your installer on port 80 and had no problems. The implication here seemed that it
should be run only on port 8080 when that's not the case.

-Dario

Re: cwiki formatting help

Posted by David Blevins <db...@visi.com>.
On Sep 23, 2007, at 10:28 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> It took me _hours_ to find, but we needed a script added to the
> footer of our cwiki template.  When the site refreshes in an hour,
> you will be able to see the CLI examples.

Awesome!  Thanks for this!  I know it was a major PITA :)  The doc
looks great on the site.

-David

Re: How to confiigure an container managed EntityManger in an embeded server?

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
There was a bug with resolving persistence context/unit references in
the plugin.  It's fixed and I updated the jars in my home directory
http://people.apache.org/~dain/openejb-temp/  I also added a JPA
example the ejb-examples.war (http://localhost:8080/ejb-examples/jpa).

-dain

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by Dario Laverde <da...@nycjava.net>.

Re: cwiki formatting help

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Sep 24, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Dario Laverde wrote:

>> On Sep 23, 2007, at 11:29 PM, Dario Laverde wrote:
>>
>>> Dain,
>>>
>>> It's not clear how to invoke/test beans from the web admin the way
>>> I recall doing so
>>> in 0.9.2 unless I'm missing something obvious - otherwise, great
>>> job in bringing
>>> back that feature!
>>
>> I never used it in 0.9.2, so I have no basis for comparison.  Can you
>> describe what you find strange?
>
> Well I'm getting NULL when I click on the beans listed in the JNDI
> browser (e.g. for
> the beans from the servlet-samples.war) and from the invoke menu
> you can only go
> back to the JNDI browser, and from EJB viewer there's not a way to
> specify one.
> Unless I'm wrong to assume that the web admin works with the Tomcat
> plugin...

The jndi browser needs to be updated for business interfaces.  Also,
you should be able to invoke anything bound into JNDI instead of just
EJBs.  If someone has some time to look at this, that would be great.

>>> So what's left, besides a how to on avoiding the OpenEJBListener
>>> for per-webapp
>>> embedding? ;-)
>>
>> The basics are all working good and I think it is ready for 3.0-
>> beta-1.  As for 3.0 final Tomcat integration, I'd like to:
>>
>> o integrate security
>> o replace OpenEJB jndi impl with Tomcat impl
>> o change naming code to not replace the Tomcat enc builder but to
>> supplement it
>> o add ear support
>>
>> The first two are easy, but the last two will be challenging.
>
> I'd recommend adding to the top of the list the ability to bundle
> Open-EJB with your
> webapp (similar to Gernonimo's embeddable container). Is it just a
> classloader/path
> issue to move the listener to the web app's WEB-INF/web.xml as well
> as the loader
> and all the dependencies to the web app's WEB-INF/lib folder or is
> it much more than
> that?

It is a bit more complex.  The reason I put this as a low priority is
the user will still have to install the JavaAgent and update the
annotations-api.jar for our code to run.  If they are willing to go
that far, then they might as well install the listener globally.

Now when, OpenJPA fixes the non-enhancement mode and Tomcat updates
the annotation classes, I think we should look at the private web app
mode.

> thanks Dain for your hard work, let me know where I can help,

The jndi browser and invoker above is a good place.

-dain

Re: cwiki formatting help

Posted by Dario Laverde <da...@nycjava.net>.

Re: cwiki formatting help