Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Rong-en Fan <gr...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/16 18:40:19 UTC

multi masters in 0.20

Few days ago, I played with the latest trunk to see how fail-tolerance
works in 0.20. While running PerformanceEvaluation to generate
workloads, killing HRS and HMaster is not a big deal. The client
recovers after tens of secs to few minutes. This is good.

For multi masters, it seems that I have to manually start backup master by

bin/hbase-daemon.sh start master

This is ok, though it's better that we can specify this as part of
hbase-site.xml or a new conf/masters.

But stop  backup master is messy... if I just do

bin/hbase-daemon.sh stop master

It will bring the whole cluster down. That's bad.

Not sure if we can do something like this :

1. if there is an active master, stop master will just make HMaster
die without shutdown the whole cluster
2. otherwise, shutdown the whole cluster as before

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rong-En Fan

Re: multi masters in 0.20

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
In this doc, http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/RollingRestart, I say kill
-9 the master for now.
St.Ack

Re: multi masters in 0.20

Posted by Jonathan Gray <jl...@streamy.com>.
I think we should add a conf file for "backupmasters", or just use
"masters" but with the first in the list the one that always gets to be
master first (introducing a delay should ensure he gets the ephemeral
node first?).

Should not be too bad?  If it's hard we could wait but seems like it
would be fairly simple.

JG

Re: multi masters in 0.20

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.