Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org> on 2022/02/19 23:09:46 UTC

Gradle and source/targetCompatibility

Hi Devs,

I was trying to provide a digital signature patch where I put the test including non-ASF licensed files in a separate project on github.
My poi-examples project was up till now in JDK 8 mode and I couldn't use my local snapshot ...

... as I'm currently unable to provide a JDK 8 version of POI.
Up till now I've simply changed the environment variables (JAVA_HOME / PATH) to point to my local JDK 8 version, but this is not working anymore. Instead of doing this, there's a gradle toolchain config now (https://blog.gradle.org/java-toolchains), which I'm just experimenting with.

If the requested java version is not available, gradle will download it.
I wonder, which version we should use for the multi release jar parts? JDK 9, 10 or 11 ... IIRC there was xml-apis hickup in JDK 10.
I would go with JDK 11 now - correct me, if this is the wrong direction.

Btw. I'm using my local gradle version 7.3 and not the wrapper.

Best wishes,
Andi

Re: Gradle and source/targetCompatibility

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I've managed now the toolchain calls. What will change after the commit is, that no longer the jenkins jdk setting is used (at least that's what I assume), but a new custom "jdkVersion" gradle parameter (defaults to jdk "8") instructs gradle to check for the specified jdk locally or download it if it's not available.

What's left to do is to additionally set (and use) the vendor (OpenJdk, IBM or none for gradle defined order) in jenkins DSL.
I probably commit that changes tomorrow - feel free to "-1" in case you think, it's better to use the current execution environment ... which seems not so deterministic given that the gradle daemon might be started with a different environment.

Best wishes,
Andi