Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Oleksandr Shulgin <ol...@zalando.de> on 2019/08/21 11:18:05 UTC

TWCS target number of time windows

Hi,

In the TWCS readme[1] it says:

You should target fewer than 50 buckets per table based on your TTL.

What is this recommendation based upon?  The docs from Datastax[2], for
example do not mention anything like that.

Is the recommendation still actual today for the version 3.0.$latest?  What
is the computation complexity behind it: is it N, N*log(N) or N^2, etc.?

Thank you.

[1] https://github.com/jeffjirsa/twcs
[2]
https://docs.datastax.com/en/archived/cassandra/3.0/cassandra/dml/dmlHowDataMaintain.html#dmlHowDataMaintain__twcs

--
Alex

Re: TWCS target number of time windows

Posted by Oleksandr Shulgin <ol...@zalando.de>.
On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 1:47 PM Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wild ass guess based on what worked for my previous employer (for whom I
> wrote twcs), but note that if you model it such that partitions are
> contained to a single window/sstable that number is probably irrelevant and
> may be able to be made arbitrarily high

Thanks for the instant answer, Jeff! :-)

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com>.