Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2015/03/03 20:31:49 UTC

[ALL] Badges for github README.md

Hi all,

as you probably know, I'm a big fan of github :-) I've added README.md
files to some of our components. It should make the github repositories
more welcoming for github contributors.
There are a variety of services available which integrate nicely with
github repositories:

- Travis CI build service [1]
- coveralls.io coverage service [2]
- Latest maven release [3]
- shield.io license badge [4]

This services can be activated and a nice badge can be added to the
README.md. I really like the combination of the travis and the coveralls
badge, because it will build and evaluate coverage for PR requests
automatically. This way you don't have to look at PR which break the build
or have a negative impact on the coverage.

I've activated these services for my commons-lang fork [5]. If nobody has
objections, I would like to add this to the README.md generation target in
the commons-build-plugin.

Note that travis and converalls have to be activated by a INFRA. I've
already seen jira requests for this, which have been resolved by INFRA, so
this should not be a problem.

Regards,
Benedikt

[1] http://travis-ci.org
[2] http://coveralls.io
[3] https://github.com/jirutka/maven-badges
[4] http://shield.io
[5] https://github.com/britter/commons-lang

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/

Re: [ALL] Badges for github README.md

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
I like the badges!

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [ALL] Badges for github README.md

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
None that I am aware of.
A number of projects are using Travis, showing the results of that
doesn't seem to be obviously problematic.

Fwd: [ALL] Badges for github README.md

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

> Looks great! The travis is nice as it also comments on pull requests.
>

> .. but .. why are all the README links for homepage, JavaDoc, etc. wrong?
>
> e.g.
> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-lang3
> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-lang3/download_lang3.cgi
> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-lang3/javadocs/api-release
> all 404.
>
> Removing any '3' solves it.

Short answer: I've forgotten to correct them, when I created the README.md

Long answer: we have several commons specific properties defined in our
build plugin [1]. We use those properties to generate parts of our website,
like the download paage, issue tracking page, mailing list page and of
corse README.md. For commons-lang the problem is, that the property
commons.component.id is set to commons-lang3 but for bulding up the links
it has to be commons-lang.

Thank you for fixing. I forgot to close the issue via commit comment. Can
you please close it?
Note that all ASF committers have write access to our source repositories
[2]. So if you feel like it, you can apply changes directly next time ;-)

Benedikt

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-build-plugin/trunk/
[2] http://markmail.org/message/ylmw7qzx23br4ver

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

> a comment in the README.md says I should do mvn commons:readme-md to
> update, which doesn't work:
>
> [ERROR] Could not find goal 'readme-md' in plugin
> org.apache.commons:commons-build-plugin:1.4 among available goals
> copy-javadoc-files, mail-page, download-page, jira-page,
> sandbox-jira-page -> [Help 1]
>
> how is the README updated now?

We have not yet released v1.5 of commons-build-plugin. It's really time to
do this... You can use it anyway by building it manually [1] and then
calling:

mvn org.apache.commons:commons-build-plugin:1.5-SNAPSHOT:read-md
mvn org.apache.commons:commons-build-plugin:1.5-SNAPSHOT:contributing-md

I try to find some time to release the plugin soon.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes