Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com> on 2014/02/14 08:15:25 UTC

WS-RM client callback property

It's important for clients using WS-RM to know when all the messages
they've sent have been acknowledged, because it's not safe for them to
terminate until this has been done. Right now we're able to use JMX to
monitor WS-ReliableMessaging operation and see when messages are
acknowledged. But this seems overly complex to me, and I'm thinking of
adding a simpler callback mechanism to make it easier.

The basic interface would be something like:

interface AcknowledgementCallback {
     void messageAcknowledged();
}

I could also supply an AcknowledgementCountingCallback implementation
which would just count how many times it's been called, and define a
waitFor(n, timeout) method on this which would wait until that many
messages had been acknowledged (or until timed out). That way an
instance could be set as a client property, and the user could just
count how many messages they'd sent and when they're done call the
waitFor() method to make sure they'd all been received before the
application terminates.

Any objections or better ideas?

Thanks,

   - Dennis

Dennis M. Sosnoski
Java Web Services Consulting <http://www.sosnoski.com/consult.html>
CXF and Web Services Security Training
<http://www.sosnoski.com/training.html>
Web Services Jump-Start <http://www.sosnoski.com/jumpstart.html>

Re: WS-RM client callback property

Posted by John Li <jo...@mycubes.nl>.
Hi Dennis,

This would be a great improvement. From the field there are concerns about
the fact that they want to have hard prove that the message was delivered
and they want to have their own administration of acknowledgement states.
Of course they should rely on the protocol but in most cases they would
like to have more control. To make this easier for businesses to get the
information if needed from CXF would definitely be very helpful.

With kind regards,
John

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Hi Aki,

I included the information in messageAcknowledge so that the callback
could be used either as per-invocation or shared, depending on what the
user wants. The simple implementation I mentioned, just counting how
many messages have been sent and acknowledged, would be intended for
shared use.

   - Dennis

Posted by Aki Yoshida <el...@gmail.com>.
hi Dennis,