Posted to dev@tiles.apache.org by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/13 20:55:29 UTC

IP Clearance for Dimensions/Kaolin

Hi all!
I created an issue at JIRA to follow the IP clearance of Dimensions
(a.k.a. Kaolin), as suggested by the incubator:
https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/TILES-272
See:
http://www.nabble.com/-IP-Clearance--Seeking-a-volunteer-for-Tiles-Kaolin-%28again%2C-and-impatient%29-to17193077.html
I contacted Aaron Roller to ask him to sign the software grant. When
he will be done, I will contact the incubator again.

Ciao
Antonio

Re: IP Clearance for Dimensions/Kaolin

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 1:46 AM, Antonio Petrelli
<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After some discussion about the incubation of Kaolin, it seemed more
> feasible a simple code donation via the "simpler" IP Clearance, like
> the ones from Shale:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/shale-444-clay-plugin-for-eclipse.html

Ok, cool. I thought that whole incubator process seemed overkill for a
simple code donation.

> So we don't need to incubate anything. As Robert@incubator wrote, when
> the software grant from Aaron arrives (I signed already a CLA, so
> there is no problem here) we have to let him know about the issue, so
> he can take a look at it.

Well, let me know about whatever legwork needs to be done. I want to
make sure I am living up to my commitment to Tiles and not passing on
responsibility simply because it takes time to trove through docs and
figure out what needs to be done. If all we need is someone to fill
out some forms then point me in the right direction and I'll take care
of it.

Greg

Re: IP Clearance for Dimensions/Kaolin

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/5/13 Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Antonio Petrelli
>  >  <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >  See:
>  >  >  http://www.nabble.com/-IP-Clearance--Seeking-a-volunteer-for-Tiles-Kaolin-%28again%2C-and-impatient%29-to17193077.html
>  >  >  I contacted Aaron Roller to ask him to sign the software grant. When
>  >  >  he will be done, I will contact the incubator again.
>
>  I've read through the Incubator documentation as best as I can tell.
>  Sorry for sleeping in class, but where exactly are we in the process
>  outlined here?
>
>     http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html

Well, exactly nowhere! :-)
After some discussion about the incubation of Kaolin, it seemed more
feasible a simple code donation via the "simpler" IP Clearance, like
the ones from Shale:

http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/shale-444-clay-plugin-for-eclipse.html

So we don't need to incubate anything. As Robert@incubator wrote, when
the software grant from Aaron arrives (I signed already a CLA, so
there is no problem here) we have to let him know about the issue, so
he can take a look at it.

Thanks

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/5/14 Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>:
>  Tiles should vote to accept the contribution.  It
>  doesn't _have_ to happen prior to IP clearance, but it's nice to link
>  to a vote thread from the clearance page.  Or have we done that
>  already?

No vote at the moment, I wish to wait for the software grant.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  I've read through the Incubator documentation as best as I can tell.
>  Sorry for sleeping in class, but where exactly are we in the process
>  outlined here?
>
>     http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html

I think Antonio is going for IP Clearance, not Incubation.  See:
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

>  Have we officially voted to be a sponsor? If not, when do we need to do that?

Not sponsorship but Tiles should vote to accept the contribution.  It

--
Wendy

Re: IP Clearance for Dimensions/Kaolin

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Antonio Petrelli
>  <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  See:
>  >  http://www.nabble.com/-IP-Clearance--Seeking-a-volunteer-for-Tiles-Kaolin-%28again%2C-and-impatient%29-to17193077.html
>  >  I contacted Aaron Roller to ask him to sign the software grant. When
>  >  he will be done, I will contact the incubator again.

I've read through the Incubator documentation as best as I can tell.
Sorry for sleeping in class, but where exactly are we in the process
outlined here?

    http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html

Have we officially voted to be a sponsor? If not, when do we need to do that?

Do we need a separate Champion and Mentor? It looks like, as an
officer of the ASF, I could be both. I am willing to do that but it
will slow the process down (could it be any slower?) and will probably
have some fits and starts because the documentation is a bit
confusing. If we do need separate people for Champion and Mentor then
I am willing to be the Mentor if we can find a member to act as
Champion. (I don't understand why podlings applying as subprojects
really need a champion anyway as long as they have a sponsoring PMC.
We're not bringing on new committers who know nothing about the ASF.
We're importing external code, largely developed by an ASF committer.)

If I am to be a Mentor, do I read the documentation correctly that I
need to request to join the Incubator PMC?

Again, I haven't been following this process as closely as I should,
for which I apologize. Right now, my primary goal is to get it moving
and done and I am willing to take on whatever responsibility is
necessary to make that happen. Moving slow is better than spinning
wheels :-)

Thanks,
Greg

Re: IP Clearance for Dimensions/Kaolin

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  See:
>  http://www.nabble.com/-IP-Clearance--Seeking-a-volunteer-for-Tiles-Kaolin-%28again%2C-and-impatient%29-to17193077.html
>  I contacted Aaron Roller to ask him to sign the software grant. When
>  he will be done, I will contact the incubator again.

>From reading the Incubator thread it appears I don't really understand
the IP clearance process - or at least there seems to be some feeling
that I should take responsibility for it. Once the grants are in
place, if all you need is someone to fill out a form and send some
emails then I can certainly find time for that - especially if it
saves some face for Tiles. I assumed it required a deeper involvement.
I will look for some documentation. Keep us in the loop on the
progress.

Thanks,
Greg