Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Pedro David Marco <pe...@yahoo.com> on 2019/03/11 09:03:18 UTC

Semioff-topic: DoS mitigation technique mentioned in SA-list

Hi all,
Not a long time ago someone in the list mentioned an interesting antiDos mitigation technique consisting in "playing" with attackers TCP windows sizes... (as far as i remember)... but i cannot find the post with the name of the tehcnique :-(
Please, if someone remembers the name of the technique, tell me off-list..
Thanks a lot in advance...
-------PedroD.

Re: Semioff-topic: DoS mitigation technique mentioned in SA-list

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Mon, 11 Mar 2019, Pedro David Marco wrote:

> Not a long time ago someone in the list mentioned an interesting antiDos
> mitigation technique consisting in "playing" with attackers TCP windows
> sizes... (as far as i remember)... but i cannot find the post with the
> name of the tehcnique :-( Please, if someone remembers the name of the
> technique, tell me off-list..

It's not so much an anti-DoS technique as a way to waste the attacker's
resources with minimum investment of *your* resources - for example, if
you have a spammer from a predictable IP who is persistent even in the
face of 100% SMTP rejects of anything from that IP.

The term is "TCP Tarpit".

   Maxim XI: Everything is air-droppable at least once.
  2 days until Albert Einstein's 140th Birthday

Re: Semioff-topic: DoS mitigation technique mentioned in SA-list

Posted by Rupert Gallagher <ru...@protonmail.com>.
Tarpitting?