Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Manu Chadha <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2020/12/19 09:31:09 UTC

add javaagent MCAC (metric collector for apache cassandra) using cass-operator

I am using cass-operator (https://github.com/datastax/cass-operator)

I want to add MCAC javaagent in my production system to monitor metrics (https://github.com/datastax/metric-collector-for-apache-cassandra).

How can I do it? The general way is to add the agent information is to change `cassandra-env.sh`. As cass-operator controls downloading the version and installation, how do I make the operator change caassandra-env.sh?

Re: add javaagent MCAC (metric collector for apache cassandra) using cass-operator

Posted by Erick Ramirez <er...@datastax.com>.
Have a look at K8ssandra (https://k8ssandra.io/). It is a platform for
running Apache Cassandra in Kubernetes using the DataStax Cassandra Operator
<https://docs.datastax.com/en/cass-operator/doc/cass-operator/cassOperatorTOC.html>
(cass-operator)
under the hood but with all the tooling built-in:

   - Reaper <http://cassandra-reaper.io/docs/> for automated repairs
   - Medusa <https://github.com/thelastpickle/cassandra-medusa/wiki> for
   backups and restores
   - Metrics Collector
   <https://github.com/datastax/metric-collector-for-apache-cassandra> for
   monitoring with Prometheus + Grafana
   - Traefik templates for k8s cluster ingress

Cheers!

RE: add javaagent MCAC (metric collector for apache cassandra) using cass-operator

Posted by Manu Chadha <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Just checked that JVM options could be added in example-cassdc-minimal.yaml<https://github.com/datastax/cass-operator/blob/master/operator/example-cassdc-yaml/cassandra-3.11.x/example-cassdc-minimal.yaml> (https://github.com/datastax/cass-operator/blob/master/operator/example-cassdc-yaml/cassandra-3.11.x/example-cassdc-minimal.yaml).

It seems I could add something like “-javaagent:${MCAC_ROOT}/lib/datastax-mcac-agent.jar", but I’ll still have to explicitly download MCAC jar on each node. Is that how it is suppose to be done?

If I have to go to each node to download the tar then I could just manually change cassandra-env.sh on each node and restart C*. I wouldn’t need to add the entry in example-cassdc* in that case.

What is the recommended way to add monitoring support in C* in production using cass-operator?