Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Markus Wiesenbacher <ma...@codefreun.de> on 2015/04/27 09:01:26 UTC

Two different Ignite-Versions?

Hi guys,

I recently noticed that there are two versions of Apache Ignite around:

.         v1.0.0: https://ignite.incubator.apache.org/download.html

.         v1.0.2: http://www.gridgain.com/download/editions/

Any clarification? ;)

Thanks

Markus

Re: Two different Ignite-Versions?

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 12:08AM, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 29.04.2015 23:56, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:

> >> Haha.
> >>
> >> You are right, this is temporary. Once official apache releases start
> >> coming out sooner, or after Ignite graduates, we probably won't need the
> >> community edition at all.
> > Another venue to follow here is to make nightly or weekly builds of Ignite and
> > publish them on our website. These can be called development snapshots or
> > whatever and can be pushed out there without the voting process, as they
> > aren't official releases.
> >
> > This should take care about the 'two-versions question' I believe. Thoughts?
>
> Certainly. Nothing's stopping you from doing that. IIUC there are
> already nightly builds, having slightly better scrutinized development
> snapshots is some extra effort but not that much.
>
> Although, do note: if you have version update notifications, you really
> should take care to highlight the difference between the availability of
> a new release (officially stamped) and a new development snapshot (not
> as stable).

Very good point - I missed that!

Re: Two different Ignite-Versions?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 29.04.2015 23:56, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 04:42PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:

>>> Apache
>>> Why
>>> be
>>> that

>>> we

>>> user
>>> You're assuming that Ignite will be an incubating podling forever. Is
>>> that a self-fulfilling prophecy? :D
>>>
>> Haha.
>>
>> You are right, this is temporary. Once official apache releases start
>> coming out sooner, or after Ignite graduates, we probably won't need the
>> community edition at all.
> Another venue to follow here is to make nightly or weekly builds of Ignite and
> publish them on our website. These can be called development snapshots or
> whatever and can be pushed out there without the voting process, as they
> aren't official releases.
>
> This should take care about the 'two-versions question' I believe. Thoughts?

Certainly. Nothing's stopping you from doing that. IIUC there are
already nightly builds, having slightly better scrutinized development
snapshots is some extra effort but not that much.

Although, do note: if you have version update notifications, you really
should take care to highlight the difference between the availability of
a new release (officially stamped) and a new development snapshot (not
as stable).

-- Brane

Re: Two different Ignite-Versions?

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 04:42PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 4:23 PM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> > Apache
> > Why
> > be
> > that
> > >>
> > > All bugs are fixed in Ignite first, of course. GridGain community edition
> > > just takes the sprint branch of Ignite and can produce a release at any
> > > point, if there are important bug fixes there.  Official ASF release, as
> > we
> > > all know, can take up to 2 weeks for voting and, if there are any
> > > rejections, even longer. There are also many other factors that may delay
> > > the official Apache release.
> > >
> > > The only motivation for the community edition is to provide the Ignite
> > user
> > > base with bug fixes much sooner than within 2 weeks.
> >
> > You're assuming that Ignite will be an incubating podling forever. Is
> > that a self-fulfilling prophecy? :D
> >

> Haha.
>
> You are right, this is temporary. Once official apache releases start
> coming out sooner, or after Ignite graduates, we probably won't need the
> community edition at all.

Another venue to follow here is to make nightly or weekly builds of Ignite and
publish them on our website. These can be called development snapshots or
whatever and can be pushed out there without the voting process, as they
aren't official releases.

This should take care about the 'two-versions question' I believe. Thoughts?

Cos

Re: Two different Ignite-Versions?

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.