Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Anthony Foglia <AF...@princeton.com> on 2011/05/15 00:28:54 UTC

Virtual Hosts and C++ Broker

Does the C++ broker support virtual hosts, and if so how do I set them
up?  All the documentation on setting up virtual hosts is either for the
Java broker, or unclear as to which broker it is about.

--
Anthony Foglia
Princeton Consultants

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Virtual Hosts and C++ Broker

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 05/16/2011 06:17 PM, Jakub Scholz wrote:
> Hi Anthony,
>
> I'm not sure what is the officially recommended approach, but in our
> company we are running multiple instances of the broker on the same
> host(s) - each of them is using different ports to listen on. They
> provide independent environment to all developers/testers/etc. So far,
> I'm not aware of any troubles caused by this setup.

That's the approach I would take also I think. I would certainly like to
see an implementation of virtual hosts or similar in the future, but its
not at the top of my own to-do list.

Posted by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>.
Hi Anthony,

I'm not sure what is the officially recommended approach, but in our
company we are running multiple instances of the broker on the same
host(s) - each of them is using different ports to listen on. They
provide independent environment to all developers/testers/etc. So far,
I'm not aware of any troubles caused by this setup.

Regards
Jakub

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Anthony,

> On 5/16/2011 4:16 AM, Gordon Sim wrote:
> > On 05/14/2011 11:28 PM, Anthony Foglia wrote:
> >> Does the C++ broker support virtual hosts, and if so how do I set
> >> them up? All the documentation on setting up virtual hosts
> is either
> >> for the Java broker, or unclear as to which broker it is about.
> >
> > No it does not.
>
> We're working on an qpid client application and I had been
> hoping to use
> virtual hosts to allow multiple developers to share the same
> qpid server
> without interfering with each other.  What's the suggested way of
> handling this?  Multiple processes?  Multiple servers?
>
> We have no AMQP experience, so any advice would be appreciated.

You can use the Java broker, which supports virtual hosts. See the table
linked to below for interop details.

http://qpid.apache.org/compatibility.html

-Steve

--
Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation
Total Lifecycle Support for Your Networked Applications

Posted by Anthony Foglia <af...@princeton.com>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Duplicate Messages in a Dynamic Route using Headers Exchange

Posted by "Fallon, Richard" <ri...@atosorigin.com>.

Hello All,

I'll try and keep this as simple as possible.  I'm using C++ Apache Qpid
v0.8, and am having a problem when using dynamic routes with the headers
exchange.

FIRSTLY:

Send two messages to BROKER_A on the default headers exchange.

One Message has the headers :data-format=standard, data-source=A
One Message has the headers :data-format=standard, data-source=B

Set up two subscriptions to the same broker, BROKER_A.

One subscription listening on queue called 'format' for messages where
data-format=standard.

One subscription listening on queue called 'source' for messages where
data-source=B.

EXPECTED RESULTS:
"format" queue contains two messages
"source" queue contains one message

ACTUAL RESULTS:
"format" queue contains two messages
"source" queue contains one message

So, if I run the above I get the correct expected results.

HOWEVER

Now introduce another broker, BROKER_B.  Link the two using a dynamic
route.  (Delete all queues first) Publish messages to BROKER_A and
subscribe to messages on BROKER_B.

I would expect the results to be the same as above but now what I see
is:-

ACTUAL RESULTS:
"format" queue contains three messages
"source" queue contains two message

Somehow duplicates are being created when using the dyamic route.  Is
this a bug?  I certainly would not expect to see this behaviour differ
when using dynamic routes.

Thanks for your time,

Richard Fallon

Atos Origin and Atos Consulting are trading names used by the Atos Origin group.  The following trading entities are registered in England and Wales:  Atos Origin IT Services UK Limited (registered number 01245534) and Atos Consulting Limited (registered number 04312380).  The registered office for each is at 4 Triton Square, Regents Place, London, NW1 3HG.The VAT No. for each is: GB232327983

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee, and may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you receive this e-mail in error, you are not authorised to copy, disclose, use or retain it.  Please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your systems.   As emails may be intercepted, amended or lost, they are not secure.  Atos Origin therefore can accept no liability for any errors or their content.  Although Atos Origin endeavours to maintain a virus-free network, we do not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and can accept no liability for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.   The risks are deemed to be accepted by everyone who communicates with Atos Origin by email.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org