Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by ya...@condorgreen.com on 2019/08/21 12:32:44 UTC

Disk space utilization by from some Cassandra

Good day,

I’m running the monitoring script for disk space utilization set the benchmark to 50%. Currently am getting the alerts from some of the nodes
About disk space greater than 50%.

Is there a way, I can quickly figure out why the space has increased and how I can maintain the disk space used by Cassandra to be below the benchmark at all the times.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Disk space utilization by from some Cassandra

Posted by Jon Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.
This advice hasn't been valid for a long time now for most use cases.  The
only time you need to reserve 50% disk space is if you're going to be
running major compactions against a table in your cluster that occupies 50%
of its total disk space.  Nowadays, that's far less common than it was when
your only option was STCS and majors to clean out your tombstones and
tombstoned data.

Even if you need to run majors regularly, if the tables you're running them
on are using 10% of your disk space you only need a little over 10% free to
run it.

If you're using TWCS and TTLs, you can run 80-90% disk usage and be fine in
a lot of cases.

The blanket advice of 50% free needs to die in a fire, it's flat out wrong
*as a rule* and expensive.  There are cases in which it is valid, but there
are far fewer valid applications of it than not.

Jon

Posted by Stefan Miklosovic <st...@instaclustr.com>.
Hi,