Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Sean Parsons <se...@futurenotfound.com> on 2010/07/27 01:19:28 UTC

Does camel-xmpp support the request reply pattern?

I'm just experimenting with camel-xmpp, but it seems a bit like it
doesn't support request reply like most of the other endpoints.  The use
case that this is causing me some grief with writing a bot using the
endpoint, so that the user sends a message to the bot and the response
comes back in the same conversation.

Has anyone else got any examples of doing something similar?

Thanks,
Sean.

Re: Does camel-xmpp support the request reply pattern?

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 1:19 AM, Sean Parsons <se...@futurenotfound.com> wrote:
> I'm just experimenting with camel-xmpp, but it seems a bit like it doesn't
> support request reply like most of the other endpoints.  The use case that
> this is causing me some grief with writing a bot using the endpoint, so that
> the user sends a message to the bot and the response comes back in the same
> conversation.
>
> Has anyone else got any examples of doing something similar?

I dont think this is supported out of the box with the camel-xmpp component.
I think its based on InOnly, eg send a message to a chat room.

If you need to wait for a reply, then there must be some logic which
can correlate / filter messages and trigger when the right reply came.
I can see the idea of sending to a bot and it replies back, so you can
kinda send a CMD and have the bot reply response.

Should be possible to implement and then have for example a Predicate
to determine when the correlated message came back.
And maybe the XMPP API has some headers/properties you can set so the
bot can use to set a correlation id.

--
Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer